This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5849 / 53°35'5"N
Longitude: -1.5315 / 1°31'53"W
OS Eastings: 431110
OS Northings: 409915
OS Grid: SE311099
Mapcode National: GBR KVRZ.7M
Mapcode Global: WHCBK.F5X2
Plus Code: 9C5WHFM9+X9
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 13 November 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286515
English Heritage Legacy ID: 334208
Location: Darton, Barnsley, S75
Electoral Ward/Division: Darton West
Built-Up Area: Barnsley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Darton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 31 09 DARTON CHURCH STREET
8/81 Church of All Saints
Church. C16, the chancel is dated 1517 and was built by Thomas de Tykyll,
Prior of Monk Bretton Priory. Gritstone ashlar. Welsh slate nave roof, lead
aisle roofs. West tower, 4-bay clerestoried nave with lean-to aisles, south
porch, 2-bay chancel with north and south 2-bay chapels, the latter slightly
shorter. Perpendicular style. Tall, 2-stage tower of smoother ashlar with
diagonal buttresses. Moulded west doorway, 3-light west window. Tall,
transomed, 2-light bell chamber openings. Crenellated parapet (pinnacles
were removed in 1967). The rest of the church is also crenellated. 3-light
south aisle and south chapel windows with arched heads. Large 5-light
transomed east window. 3-light north-aisle windows with depressed-arched
lights and square heads. Similar 2-light clerestory windows whose hoodmoulds
have figure-head stops in lighter coloured stone.
Interior: Original door within south porch. 4-bay nave arcades on octagonal
piers with sunk-quadrant moulding to the arches. Similar tall, tower arch.
Chancel arch on corbels with nail-head decoration (possibly earlier). Rood
stair in north wall. 2-bay chancel arcades with double-chamfered arches and
octagonal piers. Original Perpendicular roofs to nave and chancel. The
chancel wall-plate is inscribed in good raised lettering: "Ad Laudem Dei et
Omnium Sanetorium istum Cancellum de Novo construxit, Thomas Tykyll Prior
Monasterii Monk Brittaniae, et hujus ecclesiae patronus; et eundem complete
finivit Anno Domini Hillessino quingentessimo decino, septimo." Oak parclose
screens to north chapel and part of south chapel. A north chapel window
contains glass of early Clb date (Pevsner) showing St Mary Magdelene holding
the alabaster ointment box. In the north (Beaumont) chapel is a pedimented
marble tablet of 1731 with a seated cherub at its base. In the south chapel
is a marble monument to John Silvester of Birthwaite, d. 1722, tripartite in
form with a central standing figure and a seated female figure to each side,
one with 2 children. A cartouche of 1689 is on the south wall. The floor of
this chapel is paved with medieval grave slabs carved with crosses. soak
communion rail of c1700 (Pevsner) with a bow front forming a gateway.
The parish of Darton was founded in 1150 and the first church, built on the
present site, was by John de Laci, Earl of Lincoln, and Sir John de Sothill.
N Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1967
Listing NGR: SE3111009914
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings