This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0465 / 52°2'47"N
Longitude: -1.1935 / 1°11'36"W
OS Eastings: 455406
OS Northings: 238983
OS Grid: SP554389
Mapcode National: GBR 8VJ.R2N
Mapcode Global: VHCWB.8TDJ
Plus Code: 9C4W2RW4+HH
Entry Name: Steane Park
Listing Date: 4 February 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286523
English Heritage Legacy ID: 233996
Location: Farthinghoe, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN13
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Farthinghoe
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Hinton-in-the-Hedges The Most Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SP53NE FARTHINGHOE STEANE
6/96 Steane Park
Country House. Section of larger house demolished c.1750. C16/17, altered
C19. Squared coursed limestone, coursed rubble, ironstone dressings. Tiled
roof, stone stacks. 2 storeys and attic. South front 7 bays, has 2 gables
to left and one to right. Doorway in right bay has stone 4 centred arch and
9 panel door. Blocked doorway with similar arch third bay from left.
Irregularly spaced stone mullioned windows of 2, 3 and 4 lights with
square hoods. C19 stone mullioned windows in third bay from right on ground
and first floor, and in left bay ground floor. Main entrance on East side,
remodelled C19, has storey bay window and gabled stone porch of this date.
Rear has 6 gables and stone mullioned and transomed windows, mostly renewed
C19. North-West bay near porch added Clq. Interior not inspected, but said to
have Clb stone fireplace in dining room with 4 centred arch and C18 staircase
with turned balusters, elaborated with extra carving in the Cl9.
Originally The Manor House of the Bray family. c.1590 it passed by marriage
to Thomas Crewe, Speaker of the House of Commons, who remodelled the house.
It is shown in a C17 painting in Durham Castle. c.1740-50 two thirds of the
house was demolished.
(A. Oswald, The Chapel at Steane Park; Country Life July 2nd, 1938, p.12).
Listing NGR: SP5540638983
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.