This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5108 / 51°30'38"N
Longitude: -0.083 / 0°4'58"W
OS Eastings: 533130
OS Northings: 180840
OS Grid: TQ331808
Mapcode National: GBR TD.JL
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.J904
Plus Code: 9C3XGW68+8R
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret Pattens
Listing Date: 4 January 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286593
English Heritage Legacy ID: 199435
Location: City of London, London, EC3M
District: City and County of the City of London
Electoral Ward/Division: Billingsgate
Built-Up Area: City of London
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London
Church of England Parish: St Mary at Hill Eastcheap
Church of England Diocese: London
1.5002 (North Side)
Church of St Margaret Pattens
TQ 3380 NW 17/459 4.1.50.
1684 to 89, by Wren. Rectangular body with north aisle stopped by north-west tower.
Shallow projection to sanctuary. Exterior, now painted, appears to be largely
of stone. Round arch windows with circular openings to clerestory. Cornice and
parapet hiding roof. South elevation, partly obscured by Nos 43 and 45 Eastcheap,
has doorway at west end with segmental pediment. Pedimented west elevation has
pilastered and corniced central door with large, round-arched window above topped
by carved decoration. Smaller, arched and circular windows either side, continued
by lowest stage of tower, which has 3 further stages with circular windows and
simple, rectangular belfry openings. Crowning cornice topped by balustrade with
obelisks to corner dies. Octagonal lead covered spire with small dormers and weather
vane. North elevation with addition. Pediment to east with cornice and blocking
to lower, sanctuary projection. Simple north-east vestry with hipped, slated roof.
Old rainwater heads. Interior has order of Corinthian pilasters, with columns
to aisle, supporting ceiling cove accommodating clerestory windows. Enriched surround
to flat central area. Gallery (now enclosed) to aisle and another on Ionic columns
supporting organ at west end, the space beneath with glazed enclosure, probably
late C18. Good reredos, pulpit, high pews (canopied at west end) doorcases, wainscot,
stair to north gallery, royal arms, font, sword-rest etc. Wall monument by Rysbrack.
Listing NGR: TQ3313080840
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings