This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3152 / 51°18'54"N
Longitude: -0.4382 / 0°26'17"W
OS Eastings: 508942
OS Northings: 158506
OS Grid: TQ089585
Mapcode National: GBR 38.VKR
Mapcode Global: VHFVB.C66K
Plus Code: 9C3X8H86+3P
Entry Name: Chatley Semaphore Tower
Listing Date: 14 August 1953
Last Amended: 16 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286699
English Heritage Legacy ID: 286982
Location: Elmbridge, Surrey, KT11
Electoral Ward/Division: Cobham and Downside
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Ockham with Hatchford and Downside
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 05 NE
BOROUGH OF ELMBRIDGE
Chatley Semaphore Tower
(Formerly listed as Semaphore House, Chatley Lane)
Semaphore tower. 1822; restored after fire-damage 1989. Red brick in Flemish bond; stone coping to parapet of tower hiding flat roof; hipped Welsh slate roof to porch and kitchen wing; brick chimneys.
Octagonal tower of five storeys with basement; square porch on north side; kitchen wing of one storey and basement, one bay, on south side. Tower: deep plinth; plat band over ground floor and below parapet; alternate faces of tower recessed; windows to entrance and alternate sides, the rear side having stack and other sides blind windows. Windows have 1989 12-pane sashes, projecting ashlar cills and guaged brick arches. Rising from roof, 1989 replica semaphore mast. Porch, up flight of five replacement stone steps with plain railings, has 1989 6-panel door and side-windows. Kitchen wing: 6-pane 1989 basement windows; 12-pane sash on west side; 1989 door on gable end; rebuilt impost band and brickwork above.
Interior: gutted by fire 1984 and restored. One re-installed original fireplace (in "parlour"). The tower went out of use as a signalling tower in 1847, after which it was used as domestic accommodation.
An unusually fine example of the early C19 telegraph-signalling stations and the only surviving tower type.
Listing NGR: TQ0894258506
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings