This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4296 / 53°25'46"N
Longitude: -1.3469 / 1°20'48"W
OS Eastings: 443488
OS Northings: 392734
OS Grid: SK434927
Mapcode National: GBR MX1S.59
Mapcode Global: WHDDK.82V3
Plus Code: 9C5WCMH3+R6
Entry Name: Clifton House
Listing Date: 19 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286766
English Heritage Legacy ID: 335659
Location: Rotherham, S65
Electoral Ward/Division: Boston Castle
Built-Up Area: Rotherham
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Clifton St James
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK4392 ROTHERHAM CLIFTON LANE
10/27 Clifton House
Large house now museum. Dated ' ? WS / 1783 '. For Joshua Walker by John Carr,
contemporary interior features by John Platt. Ashlar sandstone, graduated slate
roof. 2 storeys, 5 x 6 bays; symmetrical facades. Entrance front: slight, 3-bay
projection with pediment. Plinth. Open stone porch with paired Doric columns,
entablature with mutule cornice; panelled double door within has overlight and is
flanked by windows set between responds. Other bays have sashes with glazing bars linked by sill band. lst-floor band and sill band with sections of blind balustrade below sashes with glazing bars. Doric Venetian window above porch. Dentil cornice. Hipped roof with, symmetrically-placed, corniced ashlar stacks with upswept flues. Rear: 2-storey canted bay with 3 sashes to each floor, sashes to outer bays; all as front. Left return: as front. Right return: service wing rebuilt c1973 (not included in item) encloses doorway with projecting quoins and dated lintel, tripartite kitchen window to its left.
Interior: well-preserved C18 decorative scheme. Marble fireplace in entrance hall. Inner entrance hall with marble paving and cantilevered marble stair by John Platt c1784, stair now supported on cast-iron columns and beams. Delicate wrought-iron balustrade with inlaid wreathed handrail. Doorcases with frieze of fluting flanked by festooned urns. Stair landing lit by 4 side-wall lunettes each above round-arched recesses with impost band and archivolts; enriched Doric frieze. Oval dining room to rear with Ionic side-wall fireplace by Wolstenholme of York, moulded dado rail, elaborate architraves, gilded frieze and cornice. Drawing room to rear left with Wolstenholme fireplace, painted ceiling decoration of c1840 (restored); veneered 8-panel doors into library with good fireplace and coved ceiling with acanthus central feature. Servants' stair with plain iron balustrade, wooden handrail. Marble shelves to pantry. lst-floor Venetian window has fluted wooden inner columns. 3 etched-glass panels at end of lst-floor corridor bear Walker arms. Owned by the Walker family until the estate was sold in 1860. Purchased by Rotherham Corporation in 1891 to serve its present use.
Listing NGR: SK4348892734
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings