History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fulham Palace

A Grade I Listed Building in Palace Riverside, Hammersmith and Fulham

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.4704 / 51°28'13"N

Longitude: -0.216 / 0°12'57"W

OS Eastings: 524005

OS Northings: 176117

OS Grid: TQ240761

Mapcode National: GBR BJ.472

Mapcode Global: VHGR4.69NL

Plus Code: 9C3XFQCM+5H

Entry Name: Fulham Palace

Listing Date: 7 May 1954

Last Amended: 11 November 1988

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1286903

English Heritage Legacy ID: 201787

Location: Palace Riverside, Hammersmith and Fulham, London, SW6

County: Hammersmith and Fulham

Electoral Ward/Division: Palace Riverside

Built-Up Area: Hammersmith and Fulham

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: All Saints Fulham

Church of England Diocese: London

Tagged with: Historic house museum

Find accommodation in


Te entries for:
TQ 2476 and TQ 2376 FULHAM PALACE SW6
10/44 and 9/44 West Court



10/34 East Court

shall be combined to read;

TQ 2476 and TQ 2376 FULHAM PALACE SW6

9/151 and 10/151 Fulham Palace
(formerly listed as
7.5.54 West Court and East Court)


Bishop's Palace (until 1973). Great Hall and service rooms built c.1480 for Bishop
Kemp; porch and west courtyard built c.1500; more service rooms built to south
of Great Hall for Bishop Fitzjames, 1506-22; block including Dining Room, to north
of Great Hall, built c.1750 for Bishop Sherlock; east court, on site of medieval
principal chambers, rebuilt in Gothick style by Stiff Leadbetter for Bishop Terrick,
1764-6, and further remodelled and refronted 1814-18 by S P Cockerell for Bishop
Howley, who made new chapel out of Great Hall; south range of west courtyard rebuilt
1853 for Bishop Blomfield. Early C16 red brick with purple brick diaper patterns;
C18 red brick; early C19 yellow brick to east court; gabled old tile roofs; brick
stacks. Plan consists of east courtyard and west courtyard, separated by Great
Hall with Bishop Sherlock's Dining Room range to north and Bishop Fitzjames' service
range to south. West courtyard, including Great Hall range: Of 2 storeys. West
front, of 6-window range, has central early C16 moulded Tudor-arched gateway;
early C16 ribbed double doors have lap-jointed leaves to rear, possibly of C12
origins; flat brick arches over late C19 and C20 casements, C18 two-light leaded
casement to right and large c1850 wooden cross window with leaded lights to right
of archway. North front has early C19 outshot and, to north of Great Hall, a
2-storey, 3-bay block built c.1750 for Bishop Sherlock, with projecting central
bay: Semi-circular arch over mid C18 sash with thick glazing bars to centre; flat
brick arches over 2 similar ground-floor sashes and 3 early C19 first-floor sashes;
cyma-moulded cornice beneath parapet; early C19 two-storey, 2-bay block, in similar
style and with early C19 sashes,to east. South front has C18 two-light leaded casements
to first floor; 3 early C17 brick gables added to projecting early C16 service
range, which has brick pilasters and string courses and arms of Bishop FitzJames
carved in stone over segmental-arched doorway. Inner walls facing courtyard:
Early C16 three-storey gatehouse, to Great Hall, has offset corner buttresses,
mid C19 Perpendicular-style doorway, early C16 six-light oriel window with hollow-
chamfered arched lights and Perpendicular colonettes; similar 5-light window above
with carved spandrels; moulded brick corbels to trefoiled frieze beneath parapet.
Three late C18 wooden cross windows with leaded lights to hall on left; 3 similar
windows and C20 hipped dormers to range on right. South-facing wall has late
C19/C20 casements set in heavy pegged frames, C19 six-panelled doors and C18 wooden
cross windows. North-facing wall, rebuilt 1853 with offset buttresses, has 4
ribbed doors set in Tudor-style surrounds, 2-light casements and 3 leaded casements
(probably C18) set in chamfered brick architraves. East-facing wall has late
C19 door, one C18 two-light leaded casement to top left, late C19 two-light casement
and C17-style cross wind6w next to early C16 archway, which inside has exposed
timber-framed cross walls and two mid C18 panelled doors.

East Courtyard, of 1764-6 and refronted 1814-18: east elevation, of 7-window range,
has stucco storey band to 5 central bays of 1814-18, with lower fenestration to
outer bays; C20 French windows in outer bays, set in moulded architraves with
bracketed pediments; central bays have full-height 15-pane sashes set in moulded
plaster architraves with bracketed cornices; 12-pane first-floor sashes set in
moulded plaster architraves; moulded cornice beneath parapet. North elevation,
of 3 storeys, with projecting outer bays, has flat brick arches over C20 door
and two 9-pane sashes on ground floor; first-floor range of sashes and leaded
casements set in late C18 Gothick stucco architraves; second-floor range of flat brick
arches over 12-pane sashes; moulded cornice beneath parapet. Two-storey south
elevation, of 8-window range, has flat brick arches over 12-pane sashes, similar
cornice, C17 external stack and 3-storey brick extension of 1866 leading to Chapel
(q.v.) by Butterfield.

Interior: Hall range has late C17 bolection-moulded panelling, turned balusters,
and 2 open pedimented doorways set on carved brackets to screens passage; Great
Hall to left has coffered ceiling and c.1853 chimneypiece with segmental pediment
and richly-carved festoons to overmantle; early C19 semi-circular arched blind
arcading to vestibule at rear of screens passage, with access to cross-vaulted
passage of same date to rear of Great Hall. C15 roof of Great Hall: collar trusses
with curved windbraces to butt purlins; truss adjoining stack has queen posts
clasping scissored braces and raking struts; central truss (originally a partition)
has elbowed canting struts.

Dining Room of c.1750, to north of Great Hall, has modillioned cornice and fine
rococo plaster ceiling; room above has mid C18 panelled niche, early C19 shuttering
and traces of mid/late C18 hand-blocked wallpaper. Service range to south not
inspected but noted as having reset Tudor-arched wooden archway and Bishop Laud's
carved stone arms (1628-33). North range of west courtyard has timber-framed
partition to west, mid C18 panelled doors set in moulded wood architraves and
mid C18 panelled shutters; quartered C16 beams to room on east; mid C18 panelled
dado to centre and early C19 fireplace with reeded architrave to west; first floor
has late C17 straight-flight staircase with turned balusters, mid C18 stone fireplace,
mid C18 plaster cornices, early C19 open-well staircase and complete sets of early
C16 oak joists and floor framing. West range of west courtyard: Armoury, to north
of entry, has fireplace overmantel with heraldic cartouche of Bishop Robinson
(1714-23) set in carved wood imbricated frame, and segmental-arched recesses,
rere-arches and ceiling cornice of c.1850 for Bishop Blomfield; C17 stop-chamfered
newel post to dog-leg staircase with winders; first floor has mid C18 panelled
doors, cross beams to transverse partitions; noted as having C16 roof trusses.
Interior of East. Courtyard: North range: early C19 shutters; ground-floor room
to west has fine early C19 neo-classical marble fireplace, enriched plaster frieze
and bracketed cornices to doorways; ground-floor room to east (Porteus Library)
has early C19 marble fireplace, segmental-arched vault with panelled plasterwork
and bookcases with fluted half-columns; first-floor rooms have mid C18 panelled
doors and shutters and plain early C19 fireplace; 3 early C19 second-floor rooms
have coffered ceilings and panelled doors; early C19 open-well staircase with
ramped mahogany handrail. South range: Gallery has panels of heraldic glass,
including that of Bishop Porteus; mid C18 panelled doors and dados, early C19
door architraves; ground-floor room to north has early C19 bolection-moulded panelling,
fine doorcases each with carved acanthus-leaf brackets to cornices, and early
C19 fireplace. Second-floor room to south has mid C18 dado, dentilled cornice
and pulvinated frieze to door architrave-, and fine c.1764 fireplace by Leadbetter
carved with urns, Wreaths etc. in light rococo style; small room to centre has
original fittings to mid C18 doors and dentilled cornice and pulvinated frieze
over door architrave to large reception room on north, which has another fine
Leadbetter fireplace, and panelled dado. Also on second floor are rooms with
early C19 plaster cornices, and mid C18 panelled dado leading to room with mid
C18 cornice with fluted frieze; staircase with mid C18 twisted balusters to west.
C16 timbers reset in C18 roof. C13/14 stonework in cellar, marking change of
site of the Bishop's Palace from further west to its present position.


TQ 2476 and TQ 2376 FULHAM PALACE SW6

10/44 and 9/44

7.5.54 West Court


Bishop's Palace
Early 16th Century with later alterations and restorations. Built by
Richard Fitzjames, Bishop of London, 1506-22.
Red brick with black diaper; tiled roof. Generally 2 storeys, ranged around
courtyard, reached through central arched entrance gateway on north-west
side. 3-storey porch facing courtyard on south-east side with original oriel
window and 18th century bell-turret. Hall range to left. Most of windows
late 17th century timber mullions and transoms with leaded lights, except
to refaced south west side of courtyard. South west front with 3 gables and
original traceried barge boards. Hall with panelling of c1700, fireplace by
Butterfield, and heraldic glass of 16th and 17th century restored 1847 by


TQ 2476
7.5.54 East Court
Extension to Bishop's Palace.
South front of 1765, altered 1814 by Cockerell. Yellow brick. Two to three
storeys. Eastern and southern fronts two storeyed, with square headed
mostly sashed windows, architraved to east front. North front with pointed
windows to first floor (Porteus Library behind) cornice and parapet.

Listing NGR: TQ2400576117

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.