This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4367 / 52°26'12"N
Longitude: -0.6848 / 0°41'5"W
OS Eastings: 489504
OS Northings: 282890
OS Grid: SP895828
Mapcode National: GBR DWW.7NY
Mapcode Global: VHFNS.20TW
Entry Name: The Priory
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286906
English Heritage Legacy ID: 231047
Location: Geddington, Kettering, Northamptonshire, NN14
Civil Parish: Geddington
Built-Up Area: Geddington
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Geddington St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SP8882 GRAFTON ROAD
1337-0/14/282 (South West side)
25/10/51 The Priory
Large house. 1588, and late C17 (for the Maydwell family) with
some later modification. Ashlar and coursed limestone rubble
with Collyweston stone slate roof, coped gables, moulded stone
ridge and end stacks and a brick lateral stack. 2 storeys and
attic. Half-H plan. Garden front: 9 windows wide. (5 windows
to main block and 2 windows to the gable end of each wing).
6/6 sashes linked by flush bands at window head level, and
with flush keystones to ground floor. Windows to south wing
and central ground floor window blind. Second window from left
of main block originallyu a door. 5 hipped, 2-light
small-paned iron-framed gudgeon-hung casement dormers to main
block. Gables of wings of ashlar. South wing has ironstone
quoins. Entrance front: projecting south wing dated 1588 has a
3-light ovolo-moulded stone-mullioned window in the gable, and
similar blocked windows to ground and first floors of both
gable end and right flank. (Left flank has a C19 French
window, and a large 6/6 sash). Main block presumably
originally 5 windows wide but central first floor window
skilfully removed. Central pedimented porch with double
2-panelled doors masks roll-moulded stone architrave, with
pulvinated frieze and cornice. Flush window-head band with
flush keystones. Raised band. Cornice. Windows small-paned
gudgeon-hung cross-casements. 5 dormers at garden front.
Ground floor left-hand window blocked. Right-hand bay
concealed by small C19 ashlar addition, with hipped roof and
sash windows. Lower gabled addition in front of north wing has
sash windows with gauged stone heads. Interior of south wing
altered in C19 to create one left storey, but retains 2-bay
original roof, with closed collar and tie beam truss and 2
tiers of butt purlins. Plaster in roof space has C19 graffiti.
Interior of main block also considerably altered in C19, but
hall retains bolection-moulded stone chimney piece. Some
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: P 225).
Listing NGR: SP8950482890
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings