This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3663 / 52°21'58"N
Longitude: -0.5939 / 0°35'38"W
OS Eastings: 495835
OS Northings: 275177
OS Grid: SP958751
Mapcode National: GBR DXS.LP2
Mapcode Global: VHFP0.NSCC
Plus Code: 9C4X9C84+GC
Entry Name: Great Addington House
Listing Date: 17 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286923
English Heritage Legacy ID: 232314
Location: Great Addington, North Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN14
Civil Parish: Great Addington
Built-Up Area: Great Addington
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Great Addington All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
GREAT ADDINGTON WOODFORD ROAD
14/15 Great Addington House
Shown as Church Close on Ordnance Survey map.
Rectory, now house. c.1670, altered 1870. Squared, coursed and regular
coursed limestone with slate roof. Originally T-shape, now irregular U-shape
plan. 2 storeys. Main front of 4-window range with end bays breaking forward as
gabled cross wings. Centre 2 bays have 8-paned sash windows at first floor,
under stone lintels with small gables over. Ground floor has plain C19 sash
windows with gauged stone heads. Cross wings have C19 two-light stone mullion
windows with transoms. Plank door with decorated hinges to left of centre is set
in plain arch-head moulded stone surround. Ashlar gable parapets with finials
and ashlar stacks at ridge and end. Fragment of reset carved stone above door
and evidence of gauged stone heads to some C19 stone mullion windows. Rear
elevation has C19 canted stone bay to far right and 2 C19 stone mullion windows,
one in place of original door. Interior: originally cross passage with hall to
right. Centre room, formerly the hall, has large open fireplace with bressumer.
Ceiling has cross beams. Simple early C18 staircase with part splat balustrade.
2 windows in rear passage have stained glass escutcheons with arms of
Peterborough, Bacon, Isham and Tarvers. Evidence of original trusses at first
floor level. Room to left of entrance is of c.1870 remodelling. The house may
originally have been a T-shape plan with centre range and right cross wing. A
C19 wing of domestic offices to far right was demolished mid C20.
(V.C.H.: Northamptonshire, Vol.3, p.155).
Listing NGR: SP9583575177
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings