This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5491 / 53°32'56"N
Longitude: -1.315 / 1°18'54"W
OS Eastings: 445481
OS Northings: 406046
OS Grid: SE454060
Mapcode National: GBR MW8D.3G
Mapcode Global: WHDCZ.R2Z0
Plus Code: 9C5WGMXM+JX
Entry Name: Low Grange
Listing Date: 18 April 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1287066
English Heritage Legacy ID: 333657
Location: Dearne, Barnsley, S63
Electoral Ward/Division: Dearne North
Built-Up Area: Thurnscoe
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Thurnscoe St Helen
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SE40NE DEARNE BASILDON ROAD
4/29 Low Grange
House. Probably late C16 with C17 additions of rear wing (plinth
inscribed 1664) and extension to left. Late C18 alterations. Red
brick with diaper work in blue brick to earlier part, sandstone
dressings. Welsh slate roof with stone slates to eaves and part of
rear wing. L-shaped plan. Two storeys and attic, 5-bay front with
2-bay wing to rear. Chamfered stone plinth, large quoins. Entrance
to bay 4 in early C20 glazed porch. 24-pane sashes in stone architraves.
3-course brick band to 1st floor. Plaque beneath central 1st-floor
window inscribed 'T.T.T. / 1904'. Brick band to eaves continuous across
central pediment with ashlar surround to oeil-de-boeuf. Shaped kneelers
and ashlar copings to gables and pediment. Rebuilt ridge stack to left
of centre. Rear: main range has 2 sashed openings as front, to right a
4-light double-chamfered mullioned and transomed window beneath similar
window without transom. Rear of wing has a mullioned and transomed
window to ground floor interrupted by insertion of later sash. Intact
6-light transomed window above. Right return: sashes as front to
ground and 1st floors of main range, a chamfered 2-light window to gable.
Wing to right has 24-pane and C19 4-pane sashes and 2 ridge stacks.
Doorway in rear left corner of wing has 4-centred arched lintel.
Interior: main range retains 2 deeply-chamfered spine beams. Front
left ground-floor room (disused) has large ashlar fireplace, now
infilled, with 3-piece lintel with keystone missing. Late C18 oak
staircase in rear wing. Lime-ash floor to attic. Heavy principal-
rafter trusses to main range, lighter scantling trusses to rear with
Erected on the site of a grange owned by Roche Abbey. Owned by
Jane, Lady Constable until c1571 when the estate passed to her daughters.
Illustrated in D. Hey, Buildings of Britain 1550-1750, Yorkshire,
J. Hunter, South Yorkshire: The History and Topography of the
Deanery of Doncaster, vol II, 1828-31, ppl54-5.
Listing NGR: SE4548106046
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings