This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2568 / 53°15'24"N
Longitude: -2.595 / 2°35'42"W
OS Eastings: 360399
OS Northings: 373475
OS Grid: SJ603734
Mapcode National: GBR BZ9S.Z7
Mapcode Global: WH99B.3DJM
Plus Code: 9C5V7C43+PX
Entry Name: Hefferston Grange (Part of the Grange Hospital)
Listing Date: 18 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1287121
English Heritage Legacy ID: 403174
Location: Weaverham, Cheshire West and Chester, CW8
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Weaverham
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Weaverham St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Chester
WEAVERHAM C.P. GRANGE LANE
SJ 67 SW (North Side)
4/63 Hefferston Grange (part
of the Grange Hospital)
Formerly a country house, later a hospital, now disused: dated 1741
for P H Warburton but incorporating parts of a house of c.1700, with
extensions and alterations,dated 1876 on porch,for Robert Heath.
Flemish bond orange brick with washed stone dressings. Hipped Welsh
slate roof with red coating, brick chimneys. Rectangular block.
2-storey symmetrical 7-bay east entrance front. Moulded stone plinth,
banded rusticated quoins of equal length, moulded cornice and a low
blocking course. End pairs of bays step forward slightly, and have
recessed 12-pane sashes with slender glazing bars under flat gauged
and rubbed brick heads with stone keyblocks. Similar windows to
central bays. Moulded architrave and segmental pediment above
pulvinated frieze of Tudor roses, contains a shouldered doorcase with
carved keyblock and a half-glazed door. Good dated rain hoppers.
South front has 2-storey canted bay at right end and a mixture of
sashes and deep casements. 2-bay early C19 wrought iron balcony with
swags overlying elliptical panels. Front is continued to the left by
a late C19 cast-iron conservatory with semi-circular end, but with the
walls, filled and rendered. North side has inserted stone porch with
ornate semi-circular entrance arch.
Interior: original entry into a rectangular hall with a shouldered
architrave and a pulvinated frieze to the central fireplace. Much of
the original plaster wall panelling survives and 2 pedimented
doorcases. Modillion cornice and bold geometric patterns in the
ceiling. Room to right has some fielded panelling and a lozenge in
the ceiling. To the left is a fine mahogany well staircase with
turned column balusters, fluted column newels, ramped moulded
handrail, and fielded panelled dado. Fielded painted panelling in the
remainder of the well and a ceiling with Rococo centre above. Main
room upstairs of 3 bays has a good coved ceiling with a modillion
cornice. In the saloon, the coving are classical medallions and
crossed cornucopiae. Centre has Rococo scrollwork and open shells at
the corner. Nice semi-circular headed cupboard with glazed door and
white marble fireplace of Westmacott type. Room panelled throughout
though overlain. Also upstairs is a gallery with twisted balusters
and 2 rooms and corridor with bolection moulded panelling and simple
stone fireplaces with fielded panels which must be from part of an
earlier house of c.1700.
Listing NGR: SJ6039973475
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings