This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5871 / 53°35'13"N
Longitude: -2.6613 / 2°39'40"W
OS Eastings: 356318
OS Northings: 410265
OS Grid: SD563102
Mapcode National: GBR 9VVY.MV
Mapcode Global: WH97R.23ZC
Plus Code: 9C5VH8PQ+VF
Entry Name: Church of St Wilfrid
Listing Date: 9 August 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1287160
English Heritage Legacy ID: 403067
Location: Wigan, WN6
Electoral Ward/Division: Standish with Langtree
Built-Up Area: Standish
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Standish St Wilfrid
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/07/2020
SD 51 SE
MARKET PLACE (north east side)
Church of St Wilfrid
Church. Probably 1582-84. Probably by L. Shipway. West tower 1867. East vestry 1913-14 by Austin and Paley. Stone. Single-vessel nave and chancel, aisles, north and south chapels, west tower, east vestry.
Five bay nave, three bay chancel, the sanctuary bay slightly narrower. Two bay chapels continuous with aisles. Nave and aisles have cornices and embattled parapets, pinnacles to nave, weathered buttresses and diagonal buttresses. Four-light windows with Perpendicular tracery, that to aisles cusped (possibly C19 restoration) others uncusped. South porch of two storeys has four-centred arch to entrance and-label mould raised over open book with biblical text, first floor three-light double-chamfered-mullioned window. Chancel arch marked by two octagonal stair turrets with ogival cupolas. Chancel has pinnacles to parapet and five-light east window. South chapel has entrance with Tudor head wide-boarded studded door and Standish crest over, dated 1878. North side has entrance with paired studded doors. Rainwater heads dated 1847, one to south chapel dated 1669. Tower has angle buttresses, three-light west window with reticulated tracery,cusped lancets over, octagonal bell stage has broached base with three-face clock, two-light traceried louvred bell openings, cornice, gargoyles and embattled parapet, spire. Vestry has embattled parapet and mullioned windows; central gablet over canted bay with central plaque.
Interior: nave and chancel arcades have pointed arches on Tuscan columns with plinths, believed to be the earliest use of the order in the country. Richly moulded roof beams, to all roofs, nave has tie beams with armorial bearings and date, that to north aisle has ovolo-moulded beams. Some plaques above arcades, one dated 1584, opposite initials of rector (Richard Moodie) on hood stop. Late C19 chancel and chapel screens. C17 communion rail, pulpit with richly carved panels dated 1616.
Chancel has altar table on eight twisted legs; two chest tombs, to north Richard Moodie, died 1586, re-using C14 effigy of monk; to south Edward Wrightington, died 1658, good effigy on tomb chest. Wall memorial to Edward Dicconson, died 1752, Catholic Bishop; Edward Chisnal died 1653, cartouche with trophies and books; Richard Watt, died 1796, by J. Bacon Jun, large with urn with profile, weeping women etc. South chapel has bench ends with Standish arms and crest, dated 1627. Font octagonal, tracery panels on clustered shafts, cover tiered balusters.
A rare example of a late C16 church.
Listing NGR: SD5632210260
Other nearby listed buildings