This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.8023 / 50°48'8"N
Longitude: -2.7767 / 2°46'36"W
OS Eastings: 345364
OS Northings: 100594
OS Grid: ST453005
Mapcode National: GBR MH.YSDX
Mapcode Global: FRA 562Z.82B
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 11 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1287199
English Heritage Legacy ID: 402805
Location: Stoke Abbott, Dorset, Dorset, DT8
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Stoke Abbott
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Stoke Abbott St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 4400 & 4500 STOKE ABBOTT STOKE ABBOTT VILLAGE
12/270 Parish Church of
Parish Church. C12 and C13 core, with C14 porch and chancel-arch.
C15 west tower, and former north chapel. 1826 tower restoration.
1876 church restoration, when north arcade and north aisle rebuilt.
Coursed and dressed stone walls. Clay tile roofs. West tower: 3
stages with a plain parapet, much of the facing modern. West door-
way with chamfered jambs and two-centred head, with a label and stops.
West window of 2 trefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a two-
centred head. Modern window in south wall. Bell-chamber: restored
windows of two trefoiled lights. Nave: south wall has 2 windows,
eastern C15, western is modern. South doorway, C15, with chamfered
jambs and a two-centred head. Chancel: North wall, 3 windows, first
and third are C13 lancets. C12 middle-window, of one round-headed
light. South wall windows, C13 coupled lancets, and single lancet,
and C15 western window. East window of 3 cinquefoiled lights with
vertical tracery in a two-centred head, label and stops. South
porch has a re-set outer archway, of two hollow-chamfered orders.
Interior: Nave, north arcade, late C19, to north aisle of that period.
Short round piers with plain moulded capitals. Arcade mouldings:
ovolo, sunk quadrant, hollow chamfer, stopped. North aisle, has a
reset C13 lancet of 2 lights. Font: late C12, tapering cylindrical
bowl with top and base mouldings, richly diapered surface with
acanthus ornament. Upper part has an enriched arcade, carried on
cat's mask corbels. Under arcade, a series of heads, mostly bearded
and one restored. Pulpit: early C17, much restored of three panelled
sides in 2 tiers, enriched upper and middle rails, Stoup: nave South
wall, recess with 2-centred head and bowl c.C15. Monuments: white
marble wall-tablet to Aubrey Price, M.A., rector, 1782 with Latin
inscription and shield of arm.
Source: R.C.H.M. Dorset I, p 224(1).
Listing NGR: ST4536300593
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings