This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2496 / 53°14'58"N
Longitude: -2.541 / 2°32'27"W
OS Eastings: 364001
OS Northings: 372645
OS Grid: SJ640726
Mapcode National: GBR BZPV.PT
Mapcode Global: WH99B.YL54
Plus Code: 9C5V6FX5+RJ
Entry Name: The Beeches
Listing Date: 3 January 1967
Last Amended: 18 July 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1287228
English Heritage Legacy ID: 402982
Location: Hartford, Cheshire West and Chester, CW8
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Hartford
Built-Up Area: Northwich
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Hartford St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Chester
HARTFORD C.P. CHESTER ROAD
SJ 67 SW (North side)
No.224 (The Beeches) and
no.226 (Hartford Beach)
Formerly villa, now 2 houses: 1802 but remodelled 1814-24 by and for
Thomas Marshall, salt baron (Pevsner and Hubbard): Small C20
extension. Stuccoed brick, low hipped Welsh slate roof, plastered
chimneys. Gothick detailed classical house. 2-storey, originally
symmetrical 5-bay north front. End bays of the original house are
2-storey canted bays with broad small-pane sashes with Gothick glazing
bars. The windows are divided by colonnette clusters and have a label
mould. Below the ground storey and above the top storey are cusped
plaster panels. Centre is formed by projecting porch of 3 ogee arches
with plaster detailing in the spandrels. Behind is a cross-vaulted
roof and 2 Gothick sashes and a 5 panelled decorated door. The porch
carries a simple iron balustrade and there are 2 Gothick sashes above
with hood moulds. Small extensions to right and rear.
Interior: The interior is richly detailed with Gothick motifs
throughout with the exception of the later fireplaces. The mahogany
doors are particularly fine.
No.224: entrance in square hall with stone flagged floor. The walls
have crocketted niches which are blocked to the side walls by late C19
pastoral oil paintings by J.Machin. Coved ceiling has tracery picked
out with gilding. Main room to left has panelled ceiling of geometric
patterns and cusped detailing. Behind hall is stairwell with open
string staircase with alternate plain and cusped panel iron
balusters. Rich ceiling and ogee plaster hoods to the doors upstairs.
No.226: Retains most of its detailing. Main room on garden front has
particularly fine doorcase with an ogee hood on colonnettes. Also
surviving is an originally outside door which divides two-thirds,
one-third with Gothick detailing and furniture.
Listing NGR: SJ6400172645
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings