History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Hindley, Wigan

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5334 / 53°32'0"N

Longitude: -2.5812 / 2°34'52"W

OS Eastings: 361575

OS Northings: 404242

OS Grid: SD615042

Mapcode National: GBR BWDL.Z2

Mapcode Global: WH97Z.BG31

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 10 May 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1287248

English Heritage Legacy ID: 402905

Location: Wigan, WN2

County: Wigan

Electoral Ward/Division: Hindley

Built-Up Area: Hindley

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Hindley St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Hindley

Listing Text

HINDLEY ATHERTON ROAD
SD 60 SW
(west side)
10/76 Church of
- St. Peter
- II
Church. 1866. By E. G. Paley. Rock-faced stone with ashlar
dressings and slate roof. Nave with aisles under lean-to
roofs, south west vestry, chancel and north east tower and
spire (ritual west is actual north). 5-bay nave has cornice
to clerestory and aisles; aisles have 2-light windows with
Geometrical tracery and hood moulds with head stops; gabled
buttresses have animal corbels. Clerestory has paired 2-
light windows. North and south gabled porches have angle
buttresses, arches with ball-flower on quatrefoil responds
with foliated capitals. West end has gabled buttresses
flanking 4-light window with shafts and small light with
shafts over, headstops to hood moulds; 2-light aisle west
windows. Tower has diagonal buttresses with blind arches to
angled top projections, 3-light north window, 2nd stage
trefoil-headed light with shafts on sill course. Bell stage
has sill and impost courses and paired 2-light louvred bell
openings with clock faces over. Top cornice with gargoyles
and broach spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes, the lower ones of
2 lights. East stair turret, the upper part canted; trefoil-
headed entrance. Chancel has gabled buttresses flanking 3-
light east window. Enriched cornice and 2-light trefoil-
headed south window. Vestry is later, gabled to east and
west. Interior has arcades on round columns with crocket
capitals; hood moulds with head stops. Corbelled detached
shafts support waggon roof. 2 wrought iron chandeliers
Organ, 1873, in original case at west end, 2 parts flanking
vestry, stalls to front and top cresting. Round font on
quatrefoil column with roundels to bowl. Chancel arch on
triple-shafted responds, pulpit to south with arcading.
Chancel has arch-braced scissor roof and simple panelling
and reredos. Arch to vestry to north. East window has good
stained glass dated 1870; south aisle has unusual pictorial
style window dated 1881 by D. Morette. Good stone-carved
details.


Listing NGR: SD6157504242

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.