History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Vinpenta House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Whittlesey, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5567 / 52°33'24"N

Longitude: -0.1271 / 0°7'37"W

OS Eastings: 527072

OS Northings: 297079

OS Grid: TL270970

Mapcode National: GBR J01.QPG

Mapcode Global: WHHNM.0ZST

Entry Name: Vinpenta House

Listing Date: 11 August 1950

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1287392

English Heritage Legacy ID: 402493

Location: Whittlesey, Fenland, Cambridgeshire, PE7

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Fenland

Civil Parish: Whittlesey

Built-Up Area: Whittlesey

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Whittlesey

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Whittlesey

Listing Text

TL 2797 WHITTLESEY HIGH CAUSEWAY
(East Side)

20/90 No. 4
11. 8.50 (Vinpenta House)

GV II*


House. c1740. Local brick, English bond with limestone dressings. Brick
parapet to mansard roof of slate with end stacks. L-plan. Three storeys
including smaller attic storey. Symmetrical facade framed by rusticated
quoins with fine modillion main cornice of stone and divided by plain stone
band between ground and first floor. Five window bays including wider centre
bay. Attic storey has range of four hung sashes, each of nine panes, in
raised stone surrounds with bracketed sills. Central lunette window also
with raised surround. Similar but larger fenestration at first floor, with
twelve pane hung sashes and a Venetian window to the centre bay. The ground
floor windows are also original. Two stone steps lead up to central doorway
with Venetian doorcase surround. Pair of C19 gault brick and stone piers
with shaped coping remain of the front wall. A short length of wall, c1730,
links the left hand pier to the house and has original stone coping and iron
railings. Only the stone base remains of the original front wall. Inside.
Central, two storey hall and staircase bay, with an original modillion
cornice and C19 plaster work to the ceiling. Fine open-well staircase of
three flights and landing. Closed string with carved acanthus motif to
pulvinated frieze to the string and finely cut "barley-sugar" twisted
balusters, square newels with recessed panes and moulded and swept rail.
Raised and fielded panelling to the staircase dado. There are panels with
extruded corners above the rear arches of the glazed lights of the Venetian
doorway surround. Two doorways with raised architraves, pulvinated friezes
and moulded cornices lead off the hall. The room to the left hand, probably
the parlour is lined with slender bolection moulded panelling and has dentil
and other enrichment to the cornice. The mantelpiece is carried on scroll
brackets enriched with drops and there is a frieze of finely carved fruit,
flowers and foliage. The overmantel has a ramped surround also enriched with
drops of fruit and a cornice. Within the panel there is a lozenge shaped
cartouche. At first floor two similar doorways lead to chambers, both with
original fireplaces, and one has an ovemantel and panelled dado.


Listing NGR: TL2707297079

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.