This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9421 / 51°56'31"N
Longitude: -0.8822 / 0°52'56"W
OS Eastings: 476932
OS Northings: 227653
OS Grid: SP769276
Mapcode National: GBR BZY.CR2
Mapcode Global: VHDTJ.NGG1
Plus Code: 9C3XW4R9+R4
Entry Name: Church of St Laurence
Listing Date: 19 August 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1287430
English Heritage Legacy ID: 402444
Location: Winslow, Buckinghamshire, MK18
Civil Parish: Winslow
Built-Up Area: Winslow
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Winslow
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 7627 NE WINSLOW CHURCH WALK
7/151 Church of St. Laurence
Parish church. C14 nave, aisles, tower and chancel, altered late
C15 much restored 1884-9. Late C15 S. porch. N. chapel and vestry
1889. Coursed rubble stone, tiled roof to nave and chancel, lead
roofs to aisles. W. tower of 3 stages has battlemented parapet
3-light cusped perpendicular openings to bell-chamber, moulded
Decorated doorway and 2-light window above to west much restored.
Nave has plain parapet,2 3-light late C15 cusped windows and
small central quatrefoil window to clerestory. S. aisle has 4-light
cusped Perpendicular windows flanking porch and in E. end wall,
and 2-light Decorated windows to right and in W. wall, much restored.
S. door has moulded 2-centred archway. Fine C15 porch with battlemented
parapet, finials, buttresses and 4-centred arch on slender shafts to
front with moulded spandrels and ogee canopied niche. Roof with
moulded purlins, ridge and carved bosses. N. aisle has restored
Perpendicular 3-light windows, small 2-light Decorated windows
to left and, in W. wall, and small 2-centred arched doorway. Chancel
has 5-light Perpendicular window to E. a 4-light Perpendicular and
2-light Decorated window to S. and small Perpendicular doorway,
all restored. Interior: tower has 2-centred double chamfered arches
on semi-octagonal responds to nave and aisles. Nave has 4-bay arcade
of similar arches on octagonal piers with moulded caps. Similar arch
to chancel. S. chapel has piscina with 2 ogee cusped arches on
corner of window reveal. N. aisle has fragments of C15 wall paintings
of St. Thomas of Canterbury and St. Christopher. Aisle roofs
partly original. Chancel has decorated cinquefoil piscina with carved
spandrels, restored sedilia and aumbry, and C19 wall paintings.
Altered C17 pulpit. Late C19-C20 glass. Other fittings c.1900
Small brasses to Thomas Figge 1578 and Dorothy Barnard 1634.
RCHM II 339-341
Listing NGR: SP7692927651
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings