This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6496 / 52°38'58"N
Longitude: 1.724 / 1°43'26"E
OS Eastings: 651996
OS Northings: 312278
OS Grid: TG519122
Mapcode National: GBR YQ2.YGQ
Mapcode Global: WHNVS.GN6L
Plus Code: 9F43JPXF+VJ
Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 4 March 1947
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1287563
English Heritage Legacy ID: 402039
Location: Caister-on-Sea, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR30
Civil Parish: Caister-on-Sea
Built-Up Area: Caister-on-Sea
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Caister-on-Sea Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 51 SW
CAISTER ON SEA
NORWICH ROAD (north side)
Church of Holy Trinity
Parish church. C13 origins, altered C15. Much restored 1894, roofs tiled 1976. Quaternary flint with Lincolnshire Limestone ashlar dressings. West tower, nave, south aisle and chancel. Three stage tower, externally only two stages apparent. Diagonal stepped buttresses to west. Two-light early C14 west window with reticulation unit. Cusped ringing chamber lights to west, blocked to north and enlarged and glazed to south. South light under square hood. String course below two-light restored transomed belfry windows. Crenellated parapet above string course. South aisle west end has a single C13 encircled quatrefoil. Diagonal buttress. Gabled south porch supported on diagonal buttresses and entered through wave moulded arch. Two-light cusped side lights. Leaded roof. Three two-light Y tracery south aisle windows and three-light east window of 1915. Diagonal east buttress. Two two-light south chancel cusped Y tracery windows. Against chancel a gabled C20 vestry. Diagonal east chancel buttresses and a four-light Perpendicular east window. One two-light cusped chancel north window. Two three-light Perpendicular north nave windows and one arched C13 lancet. Blocked north door.
Interior. Four bay south arcade on octagonal piers and with double hollow chamfered arches, all of 1894. Roll moulded Y west window of two lights looks into tower. 1908 arch over south doorway. Nave roof famous for contract of 1330 (see John Harvey, Medieval Craftsmen, 1975, p.200) but replaced 1785: principals, two tiers taper-tenoned butt purlins and short straight windbraces at base. Similar lean-to aisle roof, boarded to east over chapel of 1915. Jambs of chapel east window with columns and ogeed statuary niches. Large octagonal C15 font. Stem with eight attached columns with capitals and bases. Bowl panels alternate between modified route-tournants and shields within cusped quatrefoils, the shields bearing figures of angels. Crenellated rim. C19 chancel roof is boarded and arch braced. Ogeed and cusped sedilia and piscina under four arches. Wall monument to William Crowe 1668: bust stands between two black marble Corinthian columns rising to entablature and scrolled broken pediment. Between scrolls an achievement. Apron below bears inscription. Two white marble skulls flank bust. To east an architectural monument to Robert Crowe 1727. Black marble. Bowed inscription panel between Corinthian pilasters. Above is a segmental pediment and below is a gadrooned base. Two commandment panels on nave west wall. 1688. Oil on canvas. Depict Moses and Aaron.
Listing NGR: TG5199612278
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings