History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Filby, Norfolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6605 / 52°39'37"N

Longitude: 1.6496 / 1°38'58"E

OS Eastings: 646901

OS Northings: 313224

OS Grid: TG469132

Mapcode National: GBR YPZ.3WD

Mapcode Global: WHNVR.9DR8

Plus Code: 9F43MJ6X+5R

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 25 September 1962

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1287564

English Heritage Legacy ID: 402042

Location: Filby, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR29

County: Norfolk

Civil Parish: Filby

Built-Up Area: Filby

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Find accommodation in
Mautby

Description

TG 41 SE
4/5

FILBY
CHURCH LANE (east side)
Church of All Saints

25.9.62

II*

Parish church. C14 with C15 alterations, including tower. Restored 1873 and 1886. Quaternary flint and chert with Lincolnshire Limestone ashlar dressings. Nave roof thatched, aisles leaded, chancel roof slate. West tower, nave, aisles and chancel. Three stage tower supported on diagonal buttresses. Tall flushwork plinth course decorated with trefoiled arcade. West door within arch enriched with hollow casement and wave mouldings. Above is three-light Perpendicular C19 window. Quatrefoil ringing chamber ventilation panels within square surrounds. String course below belfry. Two-light belfry windows with mouchette tracery. Flushwork parapet with triple-stepped crenellations. At the corners are turrets with finials. Stairs to south-east. Three-light aisle west windows with reticulation units split by rising supermullions, of C19 date. Cusped three-light aisle east windows. Diagonal east and west buttresses to aisles and central buttress to flanks. Three three-light C19 cusped south aisle windows under segmental arches and three two-light cusped Y tracery north aisle windows, also C19. Arched south doorway with sunk quadrant and hollow mouldings. Gabled C19 north porch. Four clerestory windows north and south of encircled quatrefoil design. South chancel lit through one two-light C14 Y window, the lights supporting rounded trefoils and a quatrefoil vesica. To east a cusped two-light C14 Y tracery window. Diagonal eastern buttresses. Four-light C19 intersecting east window with encircled quatrefoils within the intersections. C19 lean-to organ chamber to north chancel wall to west of which is a two-light C14 cusped Y tracery window.

Interior. Five bay octagonal arcade with piers carried on moulded bases. Moulded capitals support double hollow chamfered arches. Clerestory windows deeply splayed. Tall tower arch with semi-circular responds and chamfered arch. Double hollow chamfered chancel arch on polygonal responds identical to arcade. Scissor braced C19 nave roof. Aisle roofs of C19 also, with moulded rafters. Re-cut C13 Purbeck marble octagonal font: central and eight orbiting marble columns and two incised arches each facet of bowl. Holy water stoups by north and south doors. Arched C13 tower stair door of timber decorated with closely set vertical and horizontal wrought iron straps. Lock, guard plate and handle intact. South-east nave chapel marked by trefoiled piscina and C20 aumbry. Early C16 polygonal pulpit with two panels each facet. These facets with quatrefoils below and mouchette tracery in head. Dado of chancel screen is C15: two bays each side of opening, each of two Perpendicular traceried panels. Each panel painted with figure of a Saint. Top rail of dado has relief carving of painted vine trail. Traceried head of screen of 1886 in Perpendicular style. C19 arch braced chancel roof with ashlaring boarded and pierced by wavy motif. Wall monument to Charles Lucas 1831 by Joseph Hermann (of Dresden). Marble. Above inscription panel is relief stele depicting standing genius bearing extinguished torch. To right the capital of a broken Ionic column. To left an urn bearing word OSSA. Pedimented top. Immediately east is wall monument to Gibson Lucas 1790. Black and white marble. Above inscription panel is black marble obelisk against which is mourning Greek seated upon sarcophagus embracing two urns. To east a mutilated piscina.

Listing NGR: TG4690113224

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.