This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0891 / 52°5'20"N
Longitude: -1.3646 / 1°21'52"W
OS Eastings: 443631
OS Northings: 243605
OS Grid: SP436436
Mapcode National: GBR 7SD.XHF
Mapcode Global: VHCW1.9RGC
Plus Code: 9C4W3JQP+J5
Entry Name: Hanwell Castle
Listing Date: 8 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1287674
English Heritage Legacy ID: 401739
Location: Hanwell, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX17
Civil Parish: Hanwell
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Hanwell
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
HANWELL MAIN STREET
SP4343 (South side)
24/84 Hanwell Castle
Country house, now 3 dwellings. Former great house of which only the south-west
tower and south range remains of a 2-storey house built round a courtyard with
main entrance on west. Begun c.1498 for William Cope, cofferer to Henry VII.
Mostly demolished in C18. East wing and restorations c.1903. Left part. Complex
range incorporating C15, C19 and C20 builds. Squared coursed ironstone. Steeply
pitched stone slate roof laid to diminishing courses. Stone and brick ridge
stacks. Double depth plan. 2 storeyss. 2-window range. Entrance porch has plank
door and 4-centred wood head. Front has C20 windows with wood lintels. Rear has
Tudor windows some renewed. Central part: long rectangular south range. Diaper
patterned blue and red brick. Limestone dressings. Steeply pitched stone slate
roof laid to diminishing courses. Brick ridge and end stacks. 2 storeys.
5-window range. Gabled porch has entrance with 4-centred doorway. Ground floor
has C20 windows with wood lintels. First floor has 2- 3- and 4-light C15/C16
windows, some with King mullions and an oriel window. Tower on right. Red brick
with diaper patterns in blue brick and ironstone quoins. 3 storeys. 2 corner
turrets. Crenellated parapets. South side has 4-light C15/C16 windows that are
on ground floor transomed. Interior not inspected but south range is noted as
having 2 large kitchen fireplaces placed back to back; plain moulded stone
doorways; late marble fireplaces. Tower noted as having contemporary stone
fireplaces on upper floors and newel stair in north-west turret. James I visited
in 1605, 1612, and 1624 Leland records the castle as a very pleasant and gallant
house in c.1540. The earliest example of C15 brickwork in north Oxfordshire. The
C20 addition on east is not of special architectural interest. Photography and
plans in NMR. Interior not inspected.
(Buildings of England; Oxfordshire; 1974, p632; VCH; Oxfordshire; Vol IX, p114;
Wood-Jones, R.B., Traditional Domestic Architecture in the Banbury Region, 1963,
p164; Beesley, A., History of Banbury, 1841, pp191-2, 240)
Listing NGR: SP4363143605
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings