This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7151 / 50°42'54"N
Longitude: -3.6852 / 3°41'6"W
OS Eastings: 281123
OS Northings: 91967
OS Grid: SX811919
Mapcode National: GBR QM.76Y3
Mapcode Global: FRA 3756.23M
Entry Name: Windout Farmhouse
Listing Date: 11 November 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1287701
English Heritage Legacy ID: 401607
Location: Tedburn St. Mary, Teignbridge, Devon, EX6
Civil Parish: Tedburn St. Mary
Civil Parish/community: Tedburn St Mary
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Tedburn St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
TEDBURN ST MARY WINDOUT LANE
SX 89 SW
3/101 Windout Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Probably medieval origins, remodelled in the circa late C16.
Colourwashed rendered cob on stone rubble footings; wheat straw thatched roof, gabled
at ends; end stacks, front lateral projecting stack with granite ashlar shaft, end
stack to rear wing.
The present plan is 3 room and cross passage (rear of passage modified) main range,
lower end to the left, with a single-storey rear lean-to and rear right wing. There
is a strong likelihood that the original plan was a medieval open hall house but
without access to the roofspace this remains unproven. The 3 room and passage plan
is circa late C16 with an unusually large lower end (left-hand) room, subdivided in
the C20 and clearly intended as a high status parlour. A wing at right angles to the
inner room forms an L-plan and may be a kitchen wing added in the C17.
2 storeys. Irregular 6-window front with the eaves thatch rising as gables above 3
first floor half-dormers. The lateral stack, right of centre has a fine granite
shaft and cap and is flanked by granite runnels to throw rainwater off the chimney
breast. Wide half-glazed front door, left of centre, into passage with a flat porch
canopy. Fenestration of 2-light casement windows, 6 panes per light, some of the
casements are iron with hasp handles and may be circa late C18/early C19. Fire
insurance signs in 2 of the dormer gables, plaster arms showing castle in gable of
dormer above front door. The rear right wing also has casement windows with small
Interior Not fully inspected but notable features survive. The lower end ground
floor room, (left-hand) has been subdivided by a plasterboard partition fixed to the
cross beam which is deeply chamfered with step stops. On either side of the cross
beam are 2 decorated plaster ceilings (Period One, French) of different designs but
using the same motifs: lions, double-headed eagles and castles divided by a pattern
of ribs. The plasterboard is clearly by the same atelier as the plasterwork at
Little Hackworthy (qv.) in the same parish. The cross beam is said to have been
plastered before the partition was inserted. C20 grate to left-hand room and to the
axial stack, probably concealing earlier features. Interior of wing not inspected
but said to have exposed beams and a large blocked fireplace. No access to roofspace
at time of survey (1985) but it is possible that a medieval roof and thatch exist
under the layers of thatch visible at eaves level.
An especially nice example of a cob and thatch house of the region with notable
plaster work. The house has not been substantially altered this century.
Kathleen and Cecil French, "Devonshire Plasterwork", T.D.A, 1957, vol 89, pp. 124-
Listing NGR: SX8112391967
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings