This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1468 / 52°8'48"N
Longitude: -1.3335 / 1°20'0"W
OS Eastings: 445703
OS Northings: 250047
OS Grid: SP457500
Mapcode National: GBR 7RV.CNR
Mapcode Global: VHCVV.T9WL
Plus Code: 9C4W4MW8+PJ
Entry Name: Church of St James the Great
Listing Date: 8 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1287785
English Heritage Legacy ID: 401199
Location: Claydon with Clattercot, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX17
Civil Parish: Claydon with Clattercot
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Claydon
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
CLAYDON WITH CLATTERCOTE MAIN STREET
SP4550 (West side)
10/31 Church of St. James the Great
Small church, C12 origins represented by C12 south doorway and north arcade of 3
bays, C12 chancel probably extended in C14 or C15, C14 west tower, C15 south
porch. Restoration at 1860 by William White: north aisle almost entirely
rebuilt, piscina and sedilia inserted in chancel and all windows renewed.
Furnishings almost entirely 1860s. Squared coursed ironstone. Tower has a
saddleback roof of stone slate on south, C20-tile on north, Nave and chancel and
aisles have C20-tile roofs, Chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch, west tower,
4-window range. 2 entrances, Chancel has painted arched priest's 5 doorway with
plank door and weathered head, Chancel has renewed 3-light window with
intersecting tracery. Chancel and nave have 2- and 3-light lancet windows mostly
restored or renewed by William White. Chancel has 2 buttresses and stone-coped
gable. Gabled south porch has stone slate roof and pointed arched doorway with
moulded jambs. Plank door and strap hinges. North aisle has smote and triple
lancets. Remains of a C14 stone chimney stack. The vent may resemble one at
Hanwell but the interior fireplace has gone. West tower. Low with a saddleback
roof. 3 stages.Lancets and 2-light trefoil head lancets to bell-stage. Restored
ironstone quoins. Interior. C19 Queen strut roofs. North arcade has 3 short
round piers with capitals carved with flat upright leaves. North aisle has an
Early English arch springing from a corbel with nailhead decoration leading from
north aisle to a chapel. The chapel has 3 openings to the chancel, a squint, a
C13 arch and a doorway once external as the mouldings are weathered. Fittings
and furnishings of 1860 restoration by William White, including piscina,
sedilia, pews, pulpit, reading desk and font. Stained glass; east window 1860s
by Wailes of Newcastle. South chancel windows of 1860s by Lavers and Barraud. South chancel Windows of - by Lovers and Sarr aud.
(Buildings of England: Oxford; 1974, p548; VCH; Oxfordshire; Vol X, p192)
Listing NGR: SP4570350047
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings