This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7291 / 50°43'44"N
Longitude: -3.6621 / 3°39'43"W
OS Eastings: 282790
OS Northings: 93482
OS Grid: SX827934
Mapcode National: GBR QN.DDVG
Mapcode Global: FRA 3764.YZQ
Plus Code: 9C2RP8HQ+J5
Entry Name: Great Huish
Listing Date: 4 September 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1287786
English Heritage Legacy ID: 401425
Location: Tedburn St. Mary, Teignbridge, Devon, EX6
Civil Parish: Tedburn St. Mary
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Tedburn St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
TEDBURN ST MARY HUISH LANE
SX 89 SW
3/89 Great Huish
Farmhouse. Early C16-origins, remodelling and extension of the C17, C20 alterations.
Whitewashed rendered cob; slate and corrugated asbestos roof, gabled at right end;
axial brick stack right end stack.
The present plan is a single-depth main range, 5 rooms wide, with a wide entrance
hall containing the stair: a rear kitchen wing, right of centre, forms a T-plan. The
evolution of the house is complex: it may have started as a medieval open hall house
but without access to the roofspace this remains unproven. C20 partitions have
obscured some of the early plan, but the earliest part of the house appears to be the
4 left-hand rooms; the extreme left-hand room is now in use as an outbuilding, the
adjoining room to the right is in use as a store room and has a fine early C16
screen. This room is unheated but may have been the hall.
The 2 adjoining rooms at the right have been subdivided in the C20 but mortises in a
cross beam to the right of the putative hall are likely to indicate a former screen
at the lower end of the cross passage. The extreme right-hand room and present stair
hall and entrance are probably 1620 (fragmentary date on plaster overmantel). The
absence of a chimney stack to the putative hall suggests that an open hall may have
survived as late as 1690 when a new hall/parlour was added at the right-hand end of
the house with a kitchen wing at right angles to the hall/parlour. At this date the
early C16 hall may have been used as an unheated service room. A rear lean-to
adjoining the early C16 hall is probably a later addition.
2 storeys. Irregular 5-window front with 3 separate roofs, front door under sloping
slate roof to right of centre. 3 ground floor windows are small pane 2- and 3-light
circa late C19 casements, the first floor has been refenestrated with C20 casements
except for one 3-light small pane casement left of centre.
Interior The second room from the left (now in use as a store room) has a pitched
stone floor, a chamfered cross beam with step stops and a very fine circa early C16
plank and muntin oak screen with foliage carving on the top rail and unusual angled
step stops. The left-hand room (now in use as an outbuilding and probably the inner
room) has a chamfered cross beam with step stops and an open fireplace with stone
rubble jambs and a timber lintel. The room to the left of the stair hall has a
partly boxed-in beam, chamfered with diagonal stops. The right-hand room has a cross
beam and a chimney piece in the first floor room above appears to have the
fragmentary remains of plasterwork with a date which is probably 1690. No access to
roofspace at time of survey (1985) but 2 jointed cruck trusses are visible in the
first floor room from the left which also has a heavy framed partition above the
plank and muntin screen. Other features are likely to exist behind wall plaster.
A house with an intriguing building history and early internal features including a
fine screen and a roof structure which may be medieval.
Listing NGR: SX8279093482
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings