History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Upton Warren, Worcestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3053 / 52°18'19"N

Longitude: -2.1031 / 2°6'11"W

OS Eastings: 393067

OS Northings: 267470

OS Grid: SO930674

Mapcode National: GBR 2G8.H3M

Mapcode Global: VH929.HBJ3

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 14 March 1969

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1287929

English Heritage Legacy ID: 400972

Location: Upton Warren, Wychavon, Worcestershire, B61

County: Worcestershire

District: Wychavon

Civil Parish: Upton Warren

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Stoke Prior, Wychbold and Upton Warren

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Bromsgrove

Listing Text

UPTON WARREN CP UPTON WARREN
SO 96 NW
6/121 Church of St Michael
14.3.69

GV II*

Parish church. Late C13 remodelled late C14, chancel rebuilt 1724, nave
1798. Sandstone ashlar, tile roof. Chancel, nave, late C13 to south-
east corner of nave. Tower: three stages, upper stage offset, diagonal
buttresses, crenellated parapet, recessed octagonal stone spire, gargoyle
water spouts. Ground stage: east and west have Decorated windows each of
two cinquefoil headed lights, first stage blank save a small 2-centred
head window to south; belfry: each window has two trefoil headed lights
under centred head, late C13. Nave: 1798, plain parapet, moulded cornice;
three bays, windows have 2-centred heads, labels and Y-tracery, west wall
blank, entrance in south wall at west end with centred moulded head.
Chancel: 1724 rebuild incorporating earlier walls of uncertain date, plain
parapet and moulded cornice, band; side walls, blind, east window: 2-centred
head without tracery. Interior: chancel arch a plain 2-centred arch; tower
arch of two moulded orders continued down jambs with 2-centred head. Gallery
at west end on two cast iron columns. Fittings: late C18 wooden Gothick
pulpit. East window glass signed by "Taylor late O'Connor/ 4 Berners St
London 1880".


Listing NGR: SO9306767470

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.