This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4664 / 51°27'59"N
Longitude: -1.0875 / 1°5'15"W
OS Eastings: 463482
OS Northings: 174552
OS Grid: SU634745
Mapcode National: GBR B45.1VC
Mapcode Global: VHCZ9.3DFQ
Plus Code: 9C3WFW86+HX
Entry Name: Church of St Laurence
Listing Date: 14 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1287940
English Heritage Legacy ID: 400902
Location: Tidmarsh, West Berkshire, RG8
County: West Berkshire
Civil Parish: Tidmarsh
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Pangbourne with Tidmarsh and Sulham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 67 SW TIDMARSH A340 (east side)
4/11 Church Of St. Laurence
Church. C12 with circa 1220 apse, restored with additions in late C19.
Rendered with stone dressings. Tile roofs with parapeted nave roof to
east. Shingled bellcote on ridge to east with string and shingled
pyramidal cap with lead finial and weathervane. 2-light ogee-headed
louvred opening on each face with small quatrefoil below. Nave, polygonal
apse, south porch and north vestry. Nave; south side: 2 central 2-light
C19 windows with Y-tracery and hoodmoulds with carved stops, and C13
lancet to right with chamfered reveals. C12 doorway to left with 2 orders
of decoration including chevron and chain, and head of Christ at apex. C19
boarded door. C19 gabled south porch of red brick with tile roof, wavey
edged barge boards, and C20 wrought iron gates. North side: C13 lancet
to left with chamfered reveals, and 2 central 2-light C19 windows with
Y-tracery and hoodmoulds with carved stops. West end: diagonal buttresses
and plinth. C19 triple stepped lancets with cill string and drip mould.
Apse: 5 sides with plinth, string, cill string and lancet on each face
with chamfered reveals. Vestry: C19. Flint with stone dressings, plinth
and lean-to tile roof. Lancet to east and 2-light window to north.
Interior: nave: C19 roof of 5 bays with braced collars and crown posts
with collar purlin. Timber framing under bellcote to west with carving
by C19 vicar's wife. C13 wall paintings in reveals of north and south
lancets. Apse: clustered shafts with moulded bases and stiff leaf capitals.
Plaster vault with moulded ribs and carved boss. Sedile to north and
shelf to south. Chamfered apse arch with impost mouldings, and hoodmoulds
with carved stops. Fittings include C18 communion rail with twisted
balusters and fluted Doric balusters at intervals, restored C15 octagonal
wooden pulpit with traceried panels, and re-cut C12 font with intersecting
arcade. Monuments include brass to Margaret Woode of 1499, brass to
Henry Leynham of 1517, and tablet to Robert Hopkins of 1834 by Whitelaw
with draped urn. This church is especially interesting for its C12
south doorway and very rare C13 polygonal apse. V.C.H. (Berks), Vol.3,
pp.435-437; B.O.E, Berkshire, p.241.
Listing NGR: SU6348474553
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings