This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8672 / 50°52'1"N
Longitude: -2.3007 / 2°18'2"W
OS Eastings: 378934
OS Northings: 107562
OS Grid: ST789075
Mapcode National: GBR 0XS.F5B
Mapcode Global: FRA 662T.1J2
Plus Code: 9C2VVM8X+VP
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Eustace
Listing Date: 4 October 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1287985
English Heritage Legacy ID: 102547
Location: Ibberton, Dorset, DT11
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Ibberton
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Ibberton St Eustace
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
IBBERTON IBBERTON VILLAGE
ST 70 NE
9/46 Parish Church of St Eustace
Parish church, main fabric C15, north aisle C16, some C17 work and major
restoration of 1903. Restoration by Ponting. Banded rubble and flint
with ashlar quoins and dressings, tower of squared, dressed rubble and
ashlar. Tiled roof with stone copings and gable ends. Plan: Nave with
south porch, chancel, west tower, north aisle and north chapel. West
tower of 2 stages with 3 weathered stage diagonal buttresses to west and
angle buttress to south-east. Projecting vice tower to north. West door
has 'Tudor' arched head with casement moulding and continuous jambs. Above
is a window of 3-cinqufoiled lights under a 2-centred head with casement
moulded surrounds. Second stage has 4 2-light windows with panelled
tracery under square heads. Embattled parapet. Nave and north aisle have
a variety of 2 and 3-light panelled tracery windows with square heads and
stopped returned labels. The north-west aisle window is of the C17 and
that which adjoins it has ogee-headed lights. The east chancel window is
of 3 cinqufoiled lights under the transom with a pointed head and inter-
secting tracery of 1903 above. Internal features: 2 bay north aisle arcade
with small C20 arch to right. 2 bay chancel arcade with 2-centred moulded
arches. Round shafts clustered around square pier with plain round capitals.
1903 2-centred chancel arch. Tower arch is 2 centred with flat jambs.
Roofs: nave has an arch-braced collar beam roof with 'perpendicular'
tracery. Chancel has arch braced collar beam roof with cusped windbracing.
Aisle has plastered barrel roof and north chapel has open wagon roof.
C15 piscina in chancel. Octagonal stone C15 font with stem and base. C17
panelled oak screen in tower arch. C20 pews. Probably C20 pulpit.
Various C18 and C19 wall monuments. C15 encaustic tiles in south porch.
"RCHM, Dorset, vol III", p 123/4, no 1. Newman, J and Pevsner, N, "The
Buildings of England: Dorset", Penguin, 1972, p 236.
Listing NGR: ST7893407562
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings