This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.6706 / 53°40'14"N
Longitude: -0.3874 / 0°23'14"W
OS Eastings: 506634
OS Northings: 420551
OS Grid: TA066205
Mapcode National: GBR TTQZ.XY
Mapcode Global: WHGFY.0ZTY
Entry Name: Barrow Hall
Listing Date: 6 November 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1288451
English Heritage Legacy ID: 165819
Location: Barrow upon Humber, North Lincolnshire, DN19
County: North Lincolnshire
Civil Parish: Barrow upon Humber
Built-Up Area: Barrow upon Humber
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Barrow-upon-Humber Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
TA 0620-0720 BARROW UPON HUMBER WOLD ROAD
(west side, off)
15/20 Barrow Hall
House, now residential home. 1789 for George Uppleby, with earlier C18
section to rear; extensive mid C19 additions to rear. Fine red brick in
Flemish bond with scored pointing; limestone ashlar dressings. Welsh slate
roof. L-shaped on plan: 2-room central entrance hall west front of 1789
with C19 extensions to rear right and north wing to rear left containing
earlier C18 section and C19 services, servants accommodation and chapel to
east end. 2 storeys, 5 bays; symmetrical. Deep plinth. Perron of 6 stone
steps to tripartite entrance with half-glazed fielded-panel door and
sidelights with glazing bars and moulded cills in pilastered Doric surround
with plain entablature and central projecting columned porch with pediment.
12-pane ground floor sashes in reveals with rubbed brick flat arches and
projecting stone rills. Two ashlar first floor bands with recessed ashlar
balustrades beneath similar first floor sashes and central tripartite ashlar
window with pilasters supporting cornice and pediment over central light.
Modillion eaves cornice with ashlar blocking course. Hipped roof with pairs
of axial and lateral stacks to rear with moulded ashlar cornices. Right
return: plinth and first floor balustrade similar to front; single blocked
windows to each floor of early section, tripartite ground floor sash and
first floor 12-pane sash to matching C19 section to right. C19 south front
has ashlar first floor bands, 12-pane sashes in reveals with rubbed brick
arches and stone cills; chapel to rear has bellcote with wooden traceried
panels. Interior. Hall has Doric columns and pilasters with acanthus
capitals flanking entrance, flagged floor, dado rail, doors in architraves
with ornate frieze and dentilled cornice; modillioned plaster cornice and
panelled plasterwork ceiling to landing with fan motif; fine profiled
cantilevered stone staircase with spiral curtail, wreathed mahogany handrail
and wrought-iron balustrade with alternating S-scrolls and pairs of wavy
bars; stair cupboard with ornate glazing. Upper hall has columned
tripartite window, ceiling cornice and plasterwork similar to below. Ground
floor left has white marble chimneypiece with fluted pilasters, entablature
with ovals and fluted panels alternating in frieze and figured Wedgwood
panels to centre (Offering to Flora) and ends to be displayed in this
position in 1789: one of very few documented examples in existence. The
frieze, pilasters and a band above the moulded dado rail are of contemporary
floral tapestries in reeded surrounds, perhaps unique. Dentilled cornice,
delicate plasterwork ceiling with central fan and garlands; 3 very fine 6-
panel mahogany doors with brass fittings in architraves. Ground floor right
has marble chimneypiece with Ionic columns, Sienna frieze with oval relief
panels and dentilled cornice; pair of 6-panel mahogany doors in architraves
with ornate composition frieze and cornice; moulded dado rail, moulded sunk
wall panels, modillion cornice and delicate plasterwork ceiling. Room to
rear wing has stone chimneypiece with central panel and wreathed urns.
Bedrooms to first floor front have moulded cornices and good composition
chimneypieces, that to centre right with consoles and Sienna marble slip.
Room to rear wing has possibly earlier C18 coved ceiling ornamented with
later C18 fluted bands etc. Re-used C18 balusters to back staircase and
rear entrance hall. Panelled window shutters, doors in architraves
throughout. Drawing by C Nattes, 1796, Banks Collection, Lincoln City
Library; A Kelly, Decorative Wedgwood, 1965, 60,90,97; N Pevsner and J
Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, 179-80.
Listing NGR: TA0662520550
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings