This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9531 / 51°57'10"N
Longitude: -1.0036 / 1°0'13"W
OS Eastings: 468569
OS Northings: 228753
OS Grid: SP685287
Mapcode National: GBR 9Y8.K2X
Mapcode Global: VHDTG.K58M
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 13 July 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1288641
English Heritage Legacy ID: 399142
Location: Hillesden, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Hillesden
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Hillesden
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 62 NL HILLESDEN CHURCH END
3/15 Church of
Parish Church. Mid C15 W. tower of rubble stone. Remainder
rebuilt after 1493 in ashlar, restored 1874-5 by Sir George
Gilbert Scott, and again in 1960. Lead roofs. Cruciform plan
with aisles, N. porch, chapel to N. of chancel and vestry with
octagonal stair turret to NE. Very fine Perpendicular church
with moulded plinth, buttresses hood-moulds, plain parapet to
nave and remainder embattled with ornamental blind tracery and
crocketted finials to N. porch, chancel, chapel, vestry and stair
turret. Tower of 3 stages has 2-light traceried openings to
bell chamber and to W. side over 4-centred moulded doorway. Nave
has 3 bays of 5-light cusped windows forming continuously glazed
clerestory. Aisles have triple uncusped lancets in 4-centred
heads. Porch has 4-centred arch with carved foliage in spandrels
and elaborate canopied niche above; interior has traceried wall
panels and fan vault. Transepts, N. chapel and chancel have
4-light transomed Perpendicular windows, uncusped to N. and S. of
transepts. Large E. window has 5 lights with transom and double
traceried upper section. 2-storey vestry has single 4-centred
lights to ground floor and 2-light cusped windows with flat hoods
above. Stair turret has striking top with elaborate parapet
and crocketted ogee arches to central finial. Interior: nave
arcade of 3 bays has moulded 4-centred arches on piers with
attached shafts. Taller similar arches to transepts and chancel.
Chancel has 2 similar arches on 8-shafted piers to N. chapel,
blind tracery panels to remaining walls and top frieze of
carved half-angels holding scrolls or musical instruments. N.
chapel has similar wall panels and squints to upper vestry. Flat
plaster ceilings with wooden ribs. Piscinae in chancel and N.
chapel have moulded corbels. Fittings: circular C13 font. Early
C16 wooden screen with much restored elaborate tracery and rood
loft on fans. Pews and choir stalls with linenfold ornament :
some c16, restored and imitated C19. Similar low screen in N.
chapel. C17 family pew in N. transept with strapwork and
pedimented cartouches. C15-C16 doors. Fragments of early C16 glass
in chancel and S. aisle; complete window to E. of S. transept.
1875 glass to S. window of transept. Painted coat of arms to left
of E. window. 3 late C17 painted panels in tower with royal arms,
Aaron and Moses. Monuments: In chancel: marble wall monument to
Catharine Denton 1733 by H. Cheere with sarcophagus on plinth,
flanking busts, urns and obelisk; wall tablet to Dr. William Denton,
physician to Charles I and II 1691 with flanking Tuscan columns;
tablet to George Woodward 1735. In N. chapel: altar tomb with
recumbent effigies of Thomas Denton and wife 1560; elaborate wall
monument to Alexander Denton 1576 with sarcophagus and surround of
fluted Tuscan columns, triglyph entablature,bold cornice and
pediment; wall tablets to Elizabeth Denton 1667, Thomas Isham 1676,
Godfrey Boate mid c18.
RCHM II pp. 146-150
Listing NGR: SP6856928753
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings