History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mausoleum of Greenwich Hospital in Grounds of Number 40

A Grade II Listed Building in Greenwich, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4814 / 51°28'52"N

Longitude: 0.0026 / 0°0'9"E

OS Eastings: 539156

OS Northings: 177725

OS Grid: TQ391777

Mapcode National: GBR L1.K9W

Mapcode Global: VHHNQ.0176

Entry Name: Mausoleum of Greenwich Hospital in Grounds of Number 40

Listing Date: 27 May 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1288809

English Heritage Legacy ID: 398688

Location: Greenwich, London, SE10

County: London

District: Greenwich

Electoral Ward/Division: Blackheath Westcombe

Built-Up Area: Greenwich

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Greenwich St Alfege

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Deptford

Listing Text

TQ 3977 MAZE HILL

786-/27/10020 Mausoleum of Greenwich
Hospital in grounds of
no 40

GV II

Mausoleum. Built under the direction of Nicholas Hawksmoor in 1713-14 to serve as a
mausoleum for the use of the officers of the Greenwich Hospital and their families. Richard
Billingshurst was the bricklayer. Reroofed and arched openings filled up c1820. A 3-bay single
storey structure of brown brick with rubbed red brick dressings, stone coping and slate roof
End pediments with brick pilasters and round-headed arch with C20 plank door. The 3 arched
openings on the north side have been partially bricked in, partially glazed in and the central
opening now has a door. The floor inside is paved with stone slabs. Below the structure is a
3 bay groined vault of brick with a floor probably of beaten earth. At the time of inspection
this was full of intact, semi-preserved and collapsed coffins of lead and wood together with the
decayed relics of their former charges. Some iron bars, and a curved section of brickwork on
the west (or park) side show where the entrance to the vault originally was. This structure
ceased to be used for interments in the late 1740s. Shown on 1749 engraving of Greenwich
Park in London Magazine, but with original triple gabled roof with higher central section.

[See Mrs Basil Holmes, "The London Burial Grounds" 1896 p.178 and p.313].


Listing NGR: TQ3913877750

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.