History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Broughton, Northamptonshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3739 / 52°22'25"N

Longitude: -0.7717 / 0°46'18"W

OS Eastings: 483718

OS Northings: 275799

OS Grid: SP837757

Mapcode National: GBR CW6.3QS

Mapcode Global: VHDRG.KLXK

Plus Code: 9C4X96FH+G8

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 25 February 1957

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1289054

English Heritage Legacy ID: 398046

Location: Broughton, Kettering, Northamptonshire, NN14

County: Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Broughton

Built-Up Area: Broughton

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Broughton St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Kettering

Description

BROUGHTON CHURCH STREET
SP 87 NW
(east side)
5/11
25.2.57 Church of St Andrew
II*
Parish Church. C12, C13, C14, C15. Chancel rebuilt 1828. Restored 1867.
Coursed and squared ironstone with plain tile, copper, stone, slate and
lead roofs. West tower, nave with clerestory and aisles, chancel, north
and south porches. 2-stage west tower, early C14, has plinth, string
courses and mask corbel table plus 2 angle buttresses. First stage has,
to west, a restored ogee triple lancet with intersecting tracery, hood
mould and mask stops. Above it, a C14 single lancet and above again, a
clock. South side has a C14 single lancet. Second stage has on each
side an ogee double lancet opening with Y-tracery and hood mould.
Octagonal broach spire has 2 tiers of gabled lucarnes on the cardinal
faces and is topped with a wind vane dated 1867. Parapeted clerestory
has on each side 3 C15 ogee double lancets with flat headed reveals. 3-
bay north aisle has plinth, 2 diagonal buttresses and coped ends.
Flanking the porch on either side, a C15 triple lancet with flat head,
hood mould and mask stops. To the right of the west window, 2 early C19
slate tablets. West end has a restored Decorated double lancet and east
end a cusped triple lancet, both with flat heads and hood moulds. East
end has an ogee triple lancet and south side has to east 2 similar
lancets. West end has a double lancet surrounded by 7 slate tablets, late
C18 and early C19. 2-bay chancel has coped east gable, angle buttresses,
and sill band. North side has to west a restored C13 doorway with hood
mould and to its right a small chamfered light. East end has a C14 5-
light lancet with intersecting tracery, hood mould and mask stops, and a
late C18 tablet below it. South side has a central coped datestone, 1828,
flanked by single C19 double Decorated lancets with hood moulds. C14
north porch has coped gable with kneelers, moulded doorway with hood
mould and mask stops, and a single light in each side. Interior has
stone benches, arched tie-beams with bosses, and early C14 roll-moulded
doorway with double shafts. Restored south porch has coped gable with
flanking buttresses and chamfered flat headed doorway East side has a
tiny re-set, C13 single lancet. Interior has stone benches, C18 common
rafter roof, and reset datestone, 1892. C12 inner doorway with zigzag
and lozenge moulding, shafts with scallop capitals and hood mould. C14
tower arch, triple chamfered, has octagonal responds. C19 stained glass
west window. 3-bay nave arcades, early C14, have octagonal piers with
square bases to north and octagonal bases to south. Octagonal capitals
throughout. Double chamfered arches with hood moulds and mask stops to
the south only. North side has to east a pointed rood loft door over a
segmental C19 organ opening. Restored C15 roof with arch braces and wall
shafts on beast and mask corbels. Aisles have restored moulded C15
roofs with wall shafts and bosses in north aisle. North aisle west end
window has C15 glass fragments. South aisle east window has similar
fragments c 1420 and c 1500. Central memorial window by Morris & Co,
1919. Blocked C14 rood loft doorway in the north east corner. Early C14
double chamfered chancel arch has octagonal responds. Chancel north side
has to left a shuttered low-side window and to right, an ogee aumbry.
East end has stained glass window by Powell, 1855. South-east window
has 2 C19 seats in the opening and stained glass c 1900. South-west
window has C19 stained glass in the head. Fittings include C14 font with
panelled stem with shafts and octagonal bowl with nodding ogee headed
panels. C19 ashlar pulpit in C14 style. C19 benches and stalls with
fleur de lys ends. Mid C18 chest. Memorials include round-headed niche
containing praying frontal demi-figure , with brass tablet on apron, to
Rev Robert Bolton,1631. Scrolled oval medallion containing painted demi-
figure with tablet on apron, bracket and crest, to Harrold Kynnesman,
1631. Marble and slate Classical tablet, 1790. Scrolled marble obelisk-
shaped tablet with crest and inscribed roundel, 1772.


Listing NGR: SP8371875799

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.