History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hodge Hill

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cartmel Fell, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2858 / 54°17'8"N

Longitude: -2.8948 / 2°53'41"W

OS Eastings: 341848

OS Northings: 488162

OS Grid: SD418881

Mapcode National: GBR 8L7W.2F

Mapcode Global: WH830.HJRT

Entry Name: Hodge Hill

Listing Date: 18 May 1953

Last Amended: 23 July 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1289621

English Heritage Legacy ID: 75580

Location: Cartmel Fell, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA11

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Cartmel Fell

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Cartmel Fell St Anthony

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Bowland Bridge

Listing Text

CARTMEL FELL
SD 48 NW
8/12
Hodge Hill (formerly
18.5.53 listed as Hodge Hill
Farmhouse with barn
facing road q.v.)

G.V. II*

House, now hotel. Possibly dates from 1560, with later alterations; spice
cupboard door dated 1674. Roughcast stone with slate roof. 2 storeys with
attic, 5 bays; end bays gabled, that to right projects. Windows have wooden
chamfered mullions and transoms, and leaded glazing with some iron opening
lights, probably C19 or later; stair window to 2nd bay; 3rd bay has gabled
dormer with ball finial; 5th bay has 2 small attic lights. 4th bay has recessed
porch under gallery; wide-boarded door has moulded battens and bolection-moulded
frame; decorative handle. Gallery has turned balusters and post supporting.
eaves; entrance and small window. Gable-end stacks and cross-axial stack with
paired rounded shafts. Left return of 3 bays. Rear of 6 bays, end bays
asymmetrically gabled, that to right projects. Dripcourse to central bays.
Windows as above; those to end bays under dripstones. Attic window to 1st bay
has older wooden frame, no leaded glazing. Return of 6th bay has entrance with
wide-boarded studded door; small gabled projection, covered in foliage, to
front. Gable ends have ball finial and stack. Left return has gabled wing
connecting with service range which has casements with leaded glazing and 2
cross-axial stacks. Interior has chamfered beams; plank and muntin partition
with moulded arrises and 2-panel door. Spice cupboard with: "EMS/1674". Bay
window has cupboards with butterfly hinges. Stone fireplace partition has
attached bench and adjoining 2-panel door. Dog-leg stair has dog gates and
turned balustrade to landing. 1st floor has plank and muntin partitions and
small cupboard door with: "BPA/1692".


Listing NGR: SD4185288164

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.