History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Astwood, Milton Keynes

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1165 / 52°6'59"N

Longitude: -0.6132 / 0°36'47"W

OS Eastings: 495052

OS Northings: 247374

OS Grid: SP950473

Mapcode National: GBR F0V.7SL

Mapcode Global: VHFQC.B259

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 17 November 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1289631

English Heritage Legacy ID: 396692

Location: Astwood, Milton Keynes, MK16

County: Milton Keynes

Civil Parish: Astwood

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Sherington with Chicheley, North Crawley, Astwood and Hardmead

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Cold Brayfield

Listing Text

SP 94 NE ASTWOOD MAIN ROAD
(south side)

4/2 Church of St.Peter

17.11.66

- II*

Parish Church, Mainly C14 and C15, stone with embattled W. tower,
nave with clerestory and S. aisle, S. porch and chancel. Flat leaded
roofs to nave and aisle, theformer replaced in concrete following
war time bomb damage. Good C14 tracery to S. aisle windows, late C15
clerestory and N. windows. Interior: nave arcade of 3 bays. Fittings
C13 font, plain octagonal bowl on base with 4 slender shafts and remains
of carving between. Pulpit: C18, altered. Monuments in chancel: brasses
to Thomas Chibnale 1534 and wives. Black marble slabs inside altar
rails to C18 members of Lowndes family. On N. wall 3 monuments:-
The L.H. monument is C17, Corinthian columns supporting entablature
broken forward over columns and broken segmental pediment with inner
scrolls and central cartouche of arms. The columns stand on a moulding
broken forward under them and are supported on brackets of cherubs' heads
between which is a small panel with white marble curved floral surround.
The shafts of the columns, the frieze and the inscription panel are of
black marble, the mouldings and pediment grey marble, and the caps and
brackets white.
The R.H. monument to William Lowndes, 1773, of Astwood Bury has a white
inscription panel in Sienna marble surround, cornice and grey marble
curved top with central portrait medallion. The panel stands on a string
with alternative flutings and roundels above a curved apron with central
coat of arms. Vidler fecit. In the centre is a monument to Margaret,
wife of William Lowndes, probably by the same hand. An arched panel
flanked by panelled pilasters, Sienna marble with white angles supporting
cornice and broken pediment with central turn. Scrolls on outer sides of
pilasters of red marble with white edges, and Sienna apron with white
edges and central cartouche of arms.
RCHM II p 57 MON 1


Listing NGR: SP9505247374

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.