This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.029 / 52°1'44"N
Longitude: -1.0102 / 1°0'36"W
OS Eastings: 468004
OS Northings: 237191
OS Grid: SP680371
Mapcode National: GBR 9X9.PF2
Mapcode Global: VHDT2.F8TF
Entry Name: The Palladian Bridge
Listing Date: 25 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1289750
English Heritage Legacy ID: 396475
Location: Stowe, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Stowe
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Stowe
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 63 NE & SP 6737 STOWE
3/78 & 9/78 STOWE SCHOOL
The Palladian Bridge
Covered bridge. Building in 1738, one year after the similar bridge at
Wilton House, Wiltshire, of which it is a near copy. At first the east
side had a solid wall with sculpture, removed and columns substituted 1762.
Ashlar stone, rusticated to bridge, 3 arches with carved keyblocks. 5 bay
Ionic colonnade flanked by pedimented pavilions with attached columns framing
semi-circular headed arches with scroll keyblocks to sides. Carved heads
to ends. Balustraded parapet to bridge. Coffered ceiling with colonnade.
Listing NGR: SP6800537191
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings