This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0312 / 52°1'52"N
Longitude: -1.018 / 1°1'4"W
OS Eastings: 467463
OS Northings: 237437
OS Grid: SP674374
Mapcode National: GBR 9X9.MFC
Mapcode Global: VHDT2.96NP
Plus Code: 9C4W2XJJ+FQ
Entry Name: The Mansion with Attached Service Ranges (Now Nugent House, Cobham House and Grafton House)
Listing Date: 25 September 1951
Last Amended: 21 April 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1289788
English Heritage Legacy ID: 396413
Location: Stowe, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Stowe
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Stowe
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 6737 STOWE
9/57 STOWE SCHOOL
The Mansion with
attached service ranges
(now Nugent House,
Cobham House and
(formerly listed as
Mansion of 1680 by William Cleare for Sir Richard Temple. Greatly altered
and enlarged in stages until 1779, by Vanbrugh in the 1720's for Viscount Cobham,
Gibbs 1740's for Lord Cobham. Work also by Leoni and Kent. South front 1771
by Thomas Pitt (Lord Camelford) based on design of Robert Adam, for Earl Temple.
North front: stucco with stone portico and dressings. Roof concealed by
balustraded parapet. Three storeys and basement, cornice at second floor.
Eleven bays, the two end bays projecting; sash windows, architraves only to
end bays. Central portico with steps and flanking stone lions. Ionic pilasters,
4 Ionic columns, design attributed to Vanbrugh or Leoni. Curved Ionic colonnades
added 1771-2 by William Ride, perhaps to designs by Pitt or Lord Temple. Screen
walls each side with Ionic order. c1780 by Valdre, pierced by pair of tall
pedimented gateways leading to the service yards, c1744 by Kent, originally
(for gateways at right angles, see separate item).
South front: ashlar, basement and one lofty storey. Balustraded parapets.
Central block with 5-bay corinthian portico with steps, flanked by triple
windows under semi-circular tympana. Giant corinthian pilasters each side.
Lower colonnaded links, arcaded at basement level, attach centre block to
two large pavilions, with giant corinthian pilasters and three bays of triple
windows under semi-circular tympana. At each end, a 2-storey arcaded wing of
5 bays with blank arcading, connects to the service wings, now boarding houses,
early C18, attributed to Vanbrugh. Stucco with ironstone dressings, slate
roofs, eaves cornices two storeys, first floor bands. Nugent House, at the
west end, has a central 5 bay block, the central bay projecting and pedimented
on both sides. Five arches on the east elevation. Two bay single storey links
each side. Northern block pedimented at each end, wooden cupola at east end
of roof. Cobham House, at east end of Mansion is similar in design. Grafton
House, attached at the east end is similar, with a basement storey faced in
ironstone, central pedimented bay with arch, modern Mansard roof.
Interior: North entrance hall decoration before c1732 by Kent. Oval saloon
with doric columns and pantheon ceiling. c1780 by Valdre (probably based on
design by G F Blondel). Music Room painted by Valdre with 'Pompeian' decoration.
Library, in E. link, 7 bays with ornamental ceiling, Dining Hall, in W. link,
Two easterly state rooms with late C18 ornamental ceilings. Basement:
Gothic library, vestibule and staircase 1805-06 by Soane. Remains of early
C19 Egyptian style entrance hall with two carved columns and frieze. First
floor: Garter Room ceiling by Borra c.1760 renewed and altered 1930's.
Chapel: upper part, with coffered ceiling.
RCHM II p.287 MON.6
Listing NGR: SP6747537434
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings