History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

15 and 16, West Mills

A Grade II Listed Building in Newbury, West Berkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4008 / 51°24'3"N

Longitude: -1.3275 / 1°19'38"W

OS Eastings: 446881

OS Northings: 167081

OS Grid: SU468670

Mapcode National: GBR 81Z.177

Mapcode Global: VHCZJ.Y12Y

Entry Name: 15 and 16, West Mills

Listing Date: 10 June 1969

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1289869

English Heritage Legacy ID: 396255

Location: Newbury, West Berkshire, RG14

County: West Berkshire

Civil Parish: Newbury

Built-Up Area: Newbury

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Newbury St Nicolas

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Newbury

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 13/10/2015


SU 4667 SE 5/215
5127


WEST MILLS,
Nos 15 and 16

10.6.69

II GV


No 15: Late C17 pair of cottages, remodelled early C19; formerly almshouses founded by will of Francis Coxedd in 1690. One-and-a-half storeys. One window each. Tile roof with central brick ridge stack. Colour-washed brick. Gabled dormer casements. Early C19 sash windows with glazing bars and hoodmoulds. Central, timber-framed, gabled porch with tile roof, brick nogging and panelled door. Ceased to be used as almshouses in 1883. (VCH Berkshire 4, 152).

No 16: Early C19 cottage. Two storeys. One window. Hipped tiled roof. Colour-washed plaster. Segmental-arched, flush framed sash windows. Framed doorway with boarded door.

Listing NGR: SU4688167081

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 13/10/2015


SU 4667 SE 5/215
5127


WEST MILLS,
Nos 15 and 16

10.6.69

II GV


No 15: Late C17 pair of cottages, remodelled early C19; formerly almshouses founded by will of Francis Coxedd in 1690. One-and-a-half storeys. One window each. Tile roof with central brick ridge stack. Colour-washed brick. Gabled dormer casements. Early C19 sash windows with glazing bars and hoodmoulds. Central, timber-framed, gabled porch with tile roof, brick nogging and panelled door. Ceased to be used as almshouses in 1883. (VCH Berkshire 4, 152).

No 16: Early C19 cottage. Two storeys. One window. Hipped tiled roof. Colour-washed plaster. Segmental-arched, flush framed sash windows. Framed doorway with boarded door.

Listing NGR: SU4688167081

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.