History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Walker Monument Approximately 20 Metres South of Chancel of Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Leyland, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6885 / 53°41'18"N

Longitude: -2.696 / 2°41'45"W

OS Eastings: 354136

OS Northings: 421564

OS Grid: SD541215

Mapcode National: GBR 9TMS.4H

Mapcode Global: WH860.KKF5

Entry Name: Walker Monument Approximately 20 Metres South of Chancel of Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 27 February 1984

Last Amended: 26 June 1992

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1290442

English Heritage Legacy ID: 357926

Location: South Ribble, Lancashire, PR25

County: Lancashire

Electoral Ward/Division: Buckshaw & Worden

Built-Up Area: Leyland

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Leyland St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Leyland

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 05/10/2012


SD 52 SW
119/8/20


LEYLAND
CHURCH ROAD
Walker monument approx. 20 metres south of chancel of Church of St Andrew


(Formerly listed as Raised slab over grave c.20 metres south of chancel of Church of St.Andrew)


GV II*


Raised monumental slab. Probably 1588. Commemorates William Walker, Clerk of the Parish of Leyland (d.1588). Sandstone. Rectangular slab on low stone base. The surface bears a very unusual life-sized primitive figure drawn with incised line of flowing simplicity, and the margin has a continuous inscription round all 4 sides, beginning at the head:

HEARE LIETH THE BODIE OF
WILLIAM WALKER BATCHELOROF MUSICKE OF THIS
PARISHE OF LEYLAND FOR
THE SPACE OF XXV YEARES AND DYED THE XX APRIL 1588

(the name "Walker" now worn and almost illegible). There are also inscriptions above the head of the figure:

Musica Mentis Medicina
Maestae
(translation: "Music the Medicine of a Sad Soul"); to the left
of the head the initials:
B
R:C

and below the feet another Latin inscription:

Nulla die
sine Linea

(approximate translation: "No day without a purpose"); and left
of this the initials:

W.F.
Esq

(probably William Farington).

HISTORY: may have connection with Shakespeare, since Shakespeare as a young man is now thought to have been in the households of the Hoghton family of Lea and Hoghton and the Hesketh family of Rufford during the 1580s (ref. E.A.J.Honigman Shakespeare: the 'lost years', Manchester 1985); William Farington of Worden has
been suggested as the model for the character of Malvolio in Twelfth Night; and the first line of this play ("If music be the food of love, play on") clearly echoes the first Latin inscription quoted above. NOTE: at the time of this inspection (June 1992), the monument was found to have been seriously disturbed (though not defaced), the slab turned at right angles and pushed off its base.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.