History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Chantry

A Grade II Listed Building in North Nibley, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6632 / 51°39'47"N

Longitude: -2.3839 / 2°23'2"W

OS Eastings: 373541

OS Northings: 196112

OS Grid: ST735961

Mapcode National: GBR 0LZ.Q3V

Mapcode Global: VH957.MGKC

Entry Name: The Chantry

Listing Date: 1 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1290704

English Heritage Legacy ID: 394731

Location: North Nibley, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL11

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: North Nibley

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: North Nibley St Martin

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
North Nibley

Listing Text

NORTH NIBLEY CHURCH LANE
ST 7396
(north side)
8/109 The Chantry
GV II

Former manorial house or priest's house; now detached house. C15;
C17 or C18 addition; restoration and alterations of 1853. Coursed
rubble marlstone with limestone ashlar dressings; rubble chimneys;
stone slate roof. Two-storey; projecting 2-storey rear wing with
cellar. Front: scattered fenestration of various dates, mostly
resulting from 1853 restoration. Off-centre moulded 4-centred
arched doorway with quatrefoils in spandrels and bold hoodmould
with shield stops; pointed-arched former staircase window over
with C14 style tracery and small parapet gable above. Three 3-
light moulded C19 mullioned casements to upper floor with trefoil
heads. Three-light ground floor casement to right of doorway with
Tudor-arched heads and to left, beyond C20 inserted casements, 4-
light in similar style. At extreme left-hand end large blocked C15
moulded 4-centred arched opening, probably original entrance;
fragment of moulded string course above. Parapet gable at each end
of building, north-east end having projecting chimney stack.
Single window fenestration to south-west end: C20 ground floor
casement with C19 three-light to upper floor with trefoil heads,
and possibly original small single-light to attic with trefoil
head. Rear: wing projects to left with leaded casement
fenestration having timber lintels in end wall, and C19 trefoil-
headed casements on south-west side. Remains of projecting lateral
chimney stack to rear of main range, now cut down and with C20
casement inserted at upper floor level. To right of chimney, C19
moulded 4-centred arched doorway with hoodmould; 2 upper floor 3-
light C19 trefoil-headed casements to right above continuous string
course.
Interior has large moulded Tudor-arched stone fireplace in hall,
possibly late C15. Roof is 5-bay arched braced collar-truss type,
mostly concealed by present ceiling, with moulding on inner edge of
bracing pegged to principal rafters. Upper floor is probably an
insertion. Called The Chantry since C16, but position suggests a
manorial use, or possibly a use as a priest's house. In early C19
was used as a school house.
(D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)


Listing NGR: ST7354196112

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.