History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

School House

A Grade II Listed Building in High Wych, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8063 / 51°48'22"N

Longitude: 0.121 / 0°7'15"E

OS Eastings: 546331

OS Northings: 214085

OS Grid: TL463140

Mapcode National: GBR LD4.MFX

Mapcode Global: VHHM1.1VVP

Plus Code: 9F32R44C+GC

Entry Name: School House

Listing Date: 30 April 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1290936

English Heritage Legacy ID: 394207

Location: High Wych, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, CM21

County: Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: High Wych

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: High Wych St James

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Sawbridgeworth

Description

TL 4614 HIGH WYCH HIGH WYCH ROAD
(west side)
High Wych Village

16/11 School House

-

GV II

Schoolmaster's house. 1860-61 by G E Pritchett (1824-1912).
Built adjacent to school opened 13 April 1861, qv. 2 storey
knapped flint Gothic style with steep red tiled gabled roof with
bellcast at eaves. Irregular plan with gables to S and E.
Entrance on N next to school. Paired limestone lancet windows
with rectangular recessed sash windows with shouldered heads and
herring-bone red brick tympana. Pointed arches with alternate
stone and dark brick voussoirs and narrow dark keystone. Raised
knapped flint super arch to each pair of lancets. Minor upper
floor windows have chamfered square stone heads (E) or have
gabled heads above eaves. E front has gabled righthand side,
slightly advanced. Uncoursed knapped flint with limestone for
plinth dressings, quoins, window dressings and vent slot in
gable. Double line of yellow brick headers with flints between
at springing line of window arches on each floor. Red brick
tumble work below each purlin, and heavy moulded bargeboards.
Large stock brick central chimney with dentilled and corbelled
upper stage with stone corners and 4 square terra-cotta pots. 2
smaller gable stacks on W. Lean-to porch with heavy roll moulded
stone corbel supporting brick cheek. Heavy plank door with
decorative iron hinges and shouldered head to frame. Interior
sparsely fitted with battened plank doors, chamfered architraves
and simple wooden fire surrounds. A little altered purpose-built
schoolmaster's house of considerable social and architectural
interest. Integral part of group with school, church and
contemporary flint buildings E of road. (Builder 8.3.1912 p 283:
WEA III (1970) 13: Bishops Stortford Observer 20.4.1861).


Listing NGR: TL4633114085

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.