This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8297 / 51°49'46"N
Longitude: -1.2799 / 1°16'47"W
OS Eastings: 449723
OS Northings: 214810
OS Grid: SP497148
Mapcode National: GBR 7WT.77Z
Mapcode Global: VHCXF.R8RP
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 7 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1291046
English Heritage Legacy ID: 394071
Location: Kidlington, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX5
Civil Parish: Kidlington
Built-Up Area: Kidlington
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Kidlington with Hampton Poyle
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
KIDLINGTON CHURCH STREET
SP4914 (West side)
10/84 Church of St. Mary
Church. C12, remodelled in mid C13; aisles, north-east and south-east chapels
added c.1330 by Abbot Thomas of Osney Abbey; C15 clerestory. Squared and coursed
limestone and coursed limestone rubble; stone-coped gabled stone slate chancel,
south-east chapel, transept and porch roofs; lead nave aisle and north-east
chapel roofs. Mid C13 cruciform plan with early C14 chapels, tower and aisles.
C14 hood moulds with head stops over all windows. Chancel has mid C13 offset
corner buttresses, early C14 quatrefoil window above C15 Perpendicular 3-light
window; 2-light Decorated south window. South-east chapel has early C14
curvilinear 5-light window with carved head set in centre of foliated circle in
apex; two 3-light rectilinear windows to south side. North-east chapel has
curvilinear 4-light east window and two 3-light rectilinear south windows. South
transept, restored in late C19, has C15 Perpendicular 3-light east window,
similar restored window and C17 sundial to south, and medieval gabled stone hood
and hood mould over early C14 pointed arched chamfered doorway and ancient door
with mid C18 panelling to rear. North transept has C15 three-light
trefoil-headed window and Perpendicular 3-light window to east; similar
Perpendicular north window; 2 mid C13 lancets, three C15 trefoil-headed lights,
mid C19 stack and doorway. Tower has late C13 trefoil-headed lancets to lower
stage and early C14 Decorated 2-light lucarnes. North side of nave has offset
corner buttresses, stair-turret with slit lights, C19 three-light window and C15
Perpendicular 3-light clerestory windows. South aisle has 3 restored early C14
Decorated 3-light windows and plain parapet; early C14 gabled porch has canopy
above pointed arched moulded doorway with ballflower ornament; early C14 south
doorway. Five C15 cinquefoiled clerestory windows. West gable has C15
Perpendicular 5-light window with panel tracery; ancient studded double doors
with strap hinges to C15 casement-moulded doorway. Interior: early C14
cinquefoiled piscina and sedilia; C19 communion rail with reset C15 cusped
panels; reset glazed C14 floor tiles; fine head corbels support C14 three-bay
arch-braced roof with hollow-moulded arch braces and moulded purlins and ashlar
plates. Two-bay early C14 north and south arcades with double-chamfered arches
set on central octagonal piers. North chapel has hood moulds with head stops and
C14 carved corbels to ceiling. South chapel has hood moulds with crouching
figures to stops and similar 4-bay arch-braced roof restored in C19.
Triple-chamfered chancel arch and double-chamfered crossing arches set on heavy
chamfered piers with moulded capitals; early C14 corbels support beamed ceiling.
South transept: similar 4-bay roof, blocked Norman window and crocketed
cinquefoiled piscina. North transept: C15 three-bay arch-braced tie-beam roof
with hollow-moulded beans, king struts and traceried spandrels; two C14 head
corbels and crocketed cinquefoiled piscina. Nave: Jacobean pulpit with blind
arcading and richly-carved decoration; trefoiled statue niche in south-east
corner; C12 tub font set on C15 octagonal base. South aisle: C15 roof with
moulded beams and ashlar plates, and solid wood arch braces with pierced
cusping. Wall painting: C15 Virgin and Child and part of narrative scene on east
wall and painted fragment on west wall of North Transept. Fittings: very fine
C15 doors; similar traceried rood screen; ten mid C13 misericords (Crossley);
two C15 benches with poppyhead finial; mid Cl9 stalls have reset panels taken
from C15 bench ends, with arms, rebus, badges and traceried carvings. North
Chapel has fine C15 traceried screen with quatrefoil spandrels to pointed-arched
doorway and C15 door with Decorated-style blind tracery; similar screen to west
end. South Chapel has similar screen with cusped head to doorway with C15 door.
Memorials: wall tablet with scrolled ends to William Smith, d.1793, and family;
tablet to Margaret May, d.1716, has cartouche with cherubs' heads and festoons;
memorial to John Smith, d.1764, has heraldic cartouche and cherub's heads below.
North Chapel has memorial tablets to Reverend Joseph Smith and wife May, d.1745
and Anne Hargreaves, d.1762, and mid C18 monument with heraldic cartouche and
urns surmounting architectural frame. South transept has memorial to John
Philips, d.1719, and mid C18 monument with urn surmounting architectural frame.
C19 wall tablets, and C17 and C18 ledger stones. Stained glass: east and south
chancel windows have reset C13-C15 fragments, panels, figures and armorial
glass; west window by O'Connor, 1857.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp670-2; National Monuments Record; Bedleian
Library, Topographical Drawings)
Listing NGR: SP4972514807
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings