History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Unitarian Chapel

A Grade II* Listed Building in Macclesfield, Cheshire East

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2612 / 53°15'40"N

Longitude: -2.1262 / 2°7'34"W

OS Eastings: 391680

OS Northings: 373805

OS Grid: SJ916738

Mapcode National: GBR FZLQ.HN

Mapcode Global: WHBBP.99S7

Entry Name: Unitarian Chapel

Listing Date: 14 April 1949

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1291252

English Heritage Legacy ID: 391021

Location: Macclesfield, Cheshire East, SK10

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Macclesfield

Built-Up Area: Macclesfield

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: St Michael and All Angels, Macclesfield

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Macclesfield

Listing Text


MACCLESFIELD

SJ9173NE KING EDWARD STREET
886-1/10/115 (South side)
14/04/49 Unitarian Chapel

GV II*

Unitarian chapel. Dated 1690, with C19 alterations. Coursed
and squared rubble with plinth, and stone-flagged roof.
Galleried interior expressed as 2 storeys, 6-window range.
EXTERIOR: external staircases giving access to galleries at
each side, the lower doorways beneath the stairway. Ogee
arched upper doorway, shallow segmental arches to lower
openings. Windows are 2- and 3-light mullions, with traceried
glazing, renewed in 1929, with the exception of the central
windows on each floor, which were then blocked on the inside,
and which retain their C19 glazing - interlace tracery with
coloured glass margin lights.
INTERIOR: entered via a lobby passage to west. Fittings mainly
date from early re-ordering of 1846 and form a coherent
design. Galleries to east and west, a former south gallery
removed in C19. Blind trefoiled panelling of gallery echoed in
panels between queen posts of roof structure, and in wall
panelling to north and south. 2-decker pulpit in centre of
north wall, with suspended sounding board. Plain panelled,
with turned balusters to stairs. Pews mainly C19. Gilded
cusped tracery to wall panels each side of pulpit, with
painted prayers. The panelling was extended across the windows
each side of the pulpit in 1929. Organ of 1846 on east
gallery.
The chapel is built to exactly the same design as other late
C17 Unitarian chapels in Knutsford and Wilmslow.


Listing NGR: SJ9168273804

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.