History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gun Battery Immediately North of Round Top (Not Included)

A Grade II Listed Building in Brixham, Torbay

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.4003 / 50°24'0"N

Longitude: -3.4972 / 3°29'50"W

OS Eastings: 293685

OS Northings: 56668

OS Grid: SX936566

Mapcode National: GBR QY.F71F

Mapcode Global: FRA 37KZ.PBW

Entry Name: Gun Battery Immediately North of Round Top (Not Included)

Listing Date: 18 October 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1291760

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383750

Location: Brixham, Torbay, TQ5

County: Torbay

Civil Parish: Brixham

Built-Up Area: Brixham

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Brixham All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Brixham

Listing Text


BRIXHAM

SX95NW VICTORIA ROAD, Berry Head
1946-1/2/31 (North side)
Gun battery immediately N of Round
Top (not included)

GV II

Gun battery, now patio. 1779-80 or 1794-5. Semi-circular
platform on cliff-top overlooking the sea. On it are 3
wedge-shaped gun platforms of granite slabs facing gently
downhill; they face north, east, and west. Enclosing the
platform is a stone rubble retaining wall topped by a low late
C20 wall of red brick. The battery now serves as a patio to a
late C20 bungalow called 'Round Top' (not included). It was
formerly the Castle Hill Battery and probably went out of use
after 1832.
(Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit Reports: Pye AR:
Berry Head Fort, Brixham: 1990-: 25).


Listing NGR: SX9368556668

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


BRIXHAM

SX95NW VICTORIA ROAD, Berry Head
1946-1/2/31 (North side)
Gun battery immediately N of Round
Top (not included)

GV II

Gun battery, now patio. 1779-80 or 1794-5. Semi-circular
platform on cliff-top overlooking the sea. On it are 3
wedge-shaped gun platforms of granite slabs facing gently
downhill; they face north, east, and west. Enclosing the
platform is a stone rubble retaining wall topped by a low late
C20 wall of red brick. The battery now serves as a patio to a
late C20 bungalow called 'Round Top' (not included). It was
formerly the Castle Hill Battery and probably went out of use
after 1832.
(Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit Reports: Pye AR:
Berry Head Fort, Brixham: 1990-: 25).


Listing NGR: SX9368556668

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.