History in Structure

Church of St Cuby

A Grade I Listed Building in Tregony, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.2708 / 50°16'14"N

Longitude: -4.9095 / 4°54'34"W

OS Eastings: 192762

OS Northings: 45252

OS Grid: SW927452

Mapcode National: GBR ZP.V3N1

Mapcode Global: FRA 08L9.Z0T

Plus Code: 9C2Q73CR+85

Entry Name: Church of St Cuby

Listing Date: 30 May 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1291868

English Heritage Legacy ID: 62837

ID on this website: 101291868

Location: St Cuby's Church, Tregony, Cornwall, TR2

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Cuby

Built-Up Area: Tregony

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Tregony with St Cuby

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in



2/2 Church of St Cuby

Parish church. Dedicated to St Cuby circa C6. Present structure is C12, C14, C15,
partly rebuilt and lengthened 1828 and restored by St Aubyn circa 1899. Slatestone
rubble, granite dressings and Delabole slate roofs with gable ends. Nave, chancel,
west tower, north transept, south aisle and south porch. North wall mostly rebuilt
1828 but earlier walling survives to left of transept with blocked 4 centred arched
opening probably C15, also short length to right of transept. Only windows are two
3 light granite mullions with squat tracery under segmental arched openings probably
1828. Plinth reused. Straight joint to external stair turret of tower. North
transept walling is probably the earliest part of the church which survives in situ
and is battered. Blocked window to north gable with sill and 2 jamb stones showing.
Cusped headed wooden window to east and west walls and arched doorway to west are
probably C20. South aisle east window and chancel window are Perpendicular style
and inserted in 1899 to 1828 walling. South aisle walling is C15 interfered with in
1828 and 1899. C19 granite window to left of porch and 3 to right have 3 arch
headed lights within C19 cambered heads. Porch rebuilt 1828 above arched opening
and much moulded and carved granite of the Norman period remains; capitals and round
headed arch of door; wall plates; ribs to internal barrel vault; benches; Kings
heads to central rib boss, further ones to plaster barrel, flanking door arch in the
form of label stops and one over door. Barrel vault is rebuilt slightly pointed to
fit 2 centred granite inner doorframe probably C14 and partly obscures niche over
thus showing that porch stonework altered. Sun dial to porch gable and stone
fragment of arch inscribed GK 1723 to left of door. Perpendicular style granite
west window of south aisle is probably 1899. 2 stage west tower is probably late
C14 and has north west and south west diagonal buttresses with offsets, stair turret
to north at east end, plinth and strings with ashlar battlements and slender corner
crested pinnacles. West door is 2 centred with hood mould and relieving arch.
Similar hood mould and relieving arch to cusped 2 light window with quatrefoil
tracery over. Similar windows with slate louvres to upper stage.
Interior of nave has 4 centred arch with standard A type (Pevsner) responds to north
transept, recess of blocked opening to east of transept and 6 bay arcade between
nave/chancel and south aisle with octagonal piers and 4 centred arches of 1899
rebuild but including 2 reused C15 pier shafts at east end. Tower arch is tall and
pointed with 2 centred door from tower to stair turret. Roofs of 1899 over nave,
chancel and south aisle are arch braced. Fittings: Norman font is round carved bowl
over round central shaft with corner lugs carved with heads to form capitals of 4
shafts supported on moulded and carved bases; hexagonal pulpit incorporating 5 C15
carved oak bench and panels; pitch pine pews C19; James II painted coat of arms (one
of only 4 in Cornwall), painted coat of arms of 1831 small C17 oak panel with
guilloche moulding in chancel.
Monuments include memorial tablet in the form of fat crucifix with bead and reel
enriched oval border surrounding shield and inscription to Hugh Pomeroy 1644; a
tablet with draped urn on south wall to Flag Lieutenant Frank Woodridge 1833 and a
small stone tablet on arcade respond by tower arch inscribed P C 1712 with pierced
hearts carving under. Belfry not inspected.

Listing NGR: SW9276245254

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.