This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3954 / 50°23'43"N
Longitude: -3.4911 / 3°29'27"W
OS Eastings: 294112
OS Northings: 56123
OS Grid: SX941561
Mapcode National: GBR QY.FGML
Mapcode Global: FRA 38K0.5QR
Entry Name: Ramparts, Counterscarp Revetment, Glacis, Musketry Wall of Southern Fort
Listing Date: 18 October 1949
Last Amended: 18 October 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1293272
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383523
Location: Brixham, Torbay, TQ5
Civil Parish: Brixham
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Brixham All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX95NW BERRY HEAD COUNTRY PARK, Berry Head
1946-1/2/17 Ramparts, counterscarp revetment,
18/10/49 glacis, musketry wall of southern
(Formerly Listed as:
BERRY HEAD COMMON
Formerly known as: Walls of redoubt SE of Berry Head Common
BERRY HEAD COMMON.
Defences of military redoubt. 1794-1804. Probably designed by
Lt-Col Alexander Mercer. Roughly coursed Devonian limestone
rubble with granite string course.
The redoubt occupies the southern promontary of the country
park and was designed to protect the landward approach to the
northern fort (qv). Its ramparts are 3-sided with 12 gun
embrasures on the south-west side and 7 on the north-west
side. Behind each embrasure is the sunken site of the gun
platform. No embrasures on the north side, which was protected
by the guns of the northern fort. The entrance, its features
now stripped out, is on this side; approached by an earthern
causeway, but said to have been a drawbridge here originally.
Encircling the ramparts is a deep, dry moat which extends to
the cliff edge at either end. On the rampart side is a steeply
sloping stone revetment wall, finishing in a rounded granite
string course below the gun embrasures. The other side of the
moat has an earth embankment with an almost vertical stone
revetment wall towards the moat and a gentle slope or glacis
on the outside. The southern, seaward, side of the fort is
mostly protected by steep cliffs, but at the western end a
stretch of stone rubble musketry wall survives.
The redoubt is usually referred to in learned publications as
the No.1 Fort. It is part of an extensive system of
fortifications erected on Berry Head following the outbreak of
war with France in 1793. It has been described as one of the
most complete surviving examples of purpose-built Napoleonic
fortifications in south-west England.
(Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit Reports: Pye A R:
Berry Head Fort, Brixham: 1990-: 9-11).
Listing NGR: SX9411256123
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings