This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4957 / 51°29'44"N
Longitude: -0.1836 / 0°11'0"W
OS Eastings: 526190
OS Northings: 178979
OS Grid: TQ261789
Mapcode National: GBR 2L.Z0
Mapcode Global: VHGQY.RNTS
Plus Code: 9C3XFRW8+7H
Entry Name: Church of St Stephen
Listing Date: 7 November 1984
Last Amended: 4 October 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1293603
English Heritage Legacy ID: 203800
Location: Kensington and Chelsea, London, SW7
District: Kensington and Chelsea
Electoral Ward/Division: Queen's Gate
Built-Up Area: Kensington and Chelsea
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Stephen Gloucester Road
Church of England Diocese: London
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 05/10/2012
TQ 2678 NW
GLOUCESTER ROAD SW7
Church of St Stephen
Church. 1866-7, designed by Joseph Peacock. Octagonal north-east vestry, passage behind east end and south-east chapel added by H R Gough 1887. Chancel recast 1903-8 by G F Bodley and Walter Tapper. Coursed Bargate stone (Yorkshire parpoints to 1887 additions), with Bath stone dressings. Slate roof. Transitional but eclectic Gothic style, with many individual features. Nave and lean-to aisles, double transepts broadening out of aisles, and further short transepts north and south of choir. North-west tower planned but not built. Tracery of unusual patterns throughout, with rose windows over long lancets in east end and choir transepts as well as over two very long windows at west end. Clerestory of irregular design. Deep entrance porch at west end of north aisle. Interior has nave of six bays with arcade of Pennant stone columns, Bath stone arches and polychromatic brick wall surfaces, all now painted. Timber roof to nave of braced Queen post type. Pews by Peacock. Chancel wholly recast by Bodley and Tapper. Tall reredos by Bodley with gilded wooden figures carved by Bridgeman of Lichfield; organ loft on north side, 1905-6; black and white marble paving by Bodley and Tapper; rood by Tapper, 1908. Also by Tapper, St Stephen's Chapel under organ, 1913. Equivalent chapel on north side by Sir Charles Nicholson, 1936. Font under west windows by Peacock, now surrounded by choir stalls by Tapper and with tall inter-war canopy. Stained glass of variable quality, but including good west windows by Mayer of Munich, 1881. Much in aisles by Lavers, Barraud and Westlake. One of the best remaining churches by the 'rogue' Victorian architect, Joseph Peacock; 'tamed by other hands' (Goodhart-Rendel) but with a richness of added interest rather than loss of effect.
Sources: Survey of London, vol.42, 1986, pp.384-7.
Listing NGR: TQ2619078979
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings