History in Structure

Gayton Manor House

A Grade I Listed Building in Gayton, West Northamptonshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.1872 / 52°11'14"N

Longitude: -0.9692 / 0°58'9"W

OS Eastings: 470567

OS Northings: 254833

OS Grid: SP705548

Mapcode National: GBR BWR.V2Y

Mapcode Global: VHDSB.49Z3

Plus Code: 9C4X52PJ+V8

Entry Name: Gayton Manor House

Listing Date: 1 December 1951

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1293835

English Heritage Legacy ID: 234673

ID on this website: 101293835

Location: Gayton, West Northamptonshire, NN7

County: West Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Gayton

Built-Up Area: Gayton

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Gayton St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Tagged with: Manor house

Find accommodation in


8/43 Gayton Manor House


House. Mid/late C16 with C18 extensions, restored 1923. Coursed squared
limestone with some ironstone, ironstone dressings, roof mostly late C18 plain
tiles with part of original stone slate roof retained on lower edges, brick
lateral and stone ridge stacks. Cruciform plan orientated approximately on
cardinal points. 2 storeys and attic. House faces south and forms symmetrical
composition with 3-storey gabled bay windows to gable ends of front and side
wings. Bay windows are canted to ground and first floors. Central bay window has
3 lights to ground and first floors, 2 lights to attic, with single lights to
sides and 2-light basement or cellar window. Central wing is flanked by 2-storey
porches in angles either side with Tudor-arched doors, 3-light windows above
door and to first floor with side-lights to south, 1-light windows to ground
floor sides and plain stone-coped parapets. 3-light windows to ground and first
floors of projecting wings facing south. Bay windows to ends of side wings have
4 lights to ground and first floors with king mullions; 3 lights to attic and
side-lights. That to east has 4-light cellar window with king mullion, that to
west lighting hall has larger ground floor window with transom to front at level
of sills of side-lights and cutting plinth. Rear wing housing staircase is
slightly shorter and has no bay window; door to right with wood lintel and
straight hood on brackets, 2-light window to left, a 3-light mezzanine window,
pair of 2-light windows to first floor and 3-light attic window. Wing flanked by
2-storey C18 lean-to extension to right, one storey lean-to extension to left
with casement windows. All original windows have hollow-chamfered stone mullions
and arched lights with cut spandrels, except for chamfered mullions of east wing
cellar window. Original windows and doors have hood moulds. Moulded plinth,
stone-coped gables with kneelers and ironstone quoins. Interior Hall has large
moulded Tudor-arched stone fireplace and moulded bar-stop-chamfered spine beans,
Small gallery to inner corner with turned balusters believed formerly to have
extended the full length of inner end wall. Door to stairs has chamfered wood
surround, that to porch moulded stone surround. Panelled drawing room has
Tudor-arched stone fireplace with cut spandrels and ornamental wood surround
with fluted pilasters, carved panel and overmantel. Panelling divided in
sections by fluted pilasters. Similar pilasters flank doors which have straight
hoods on console brackets, that to porch formerly with pedimental fretwork.
Dog-leg staircase has turned balusters and octagonal newel posts with square
finials. A secondary straight flight with serpentine splat balusters leads to
attic. Door to drawing room has Tudor-arched wood surround with initials FBT on
shield in left carved spandrel, knot to right spandrel. Door at head of stairs
leading to first floor has double-leaf doors with horizontal oval in quartered
central rectangular panel to each leaf. First floor lobby originally open to
present bedroom opposite stairs which has round wood pillar just within present
partition wall near corners either side and stone corner fireplaces with
Tudor-arched heads and cut spandrels either side of front bay window. One
fireplace appears to be a dummy for symmetry, with no flue. Similar larger
fireplaces to rooms either side of lobby. Moulded stop-chamfered spine beans.
Partition wall of bedroom to east occupies original position. Stone cellar or
basement opens off inner end of hall. Almost certainly built not as manor house
but lodge, perhaps with detached kitchen. Originally owned by Tanfield family,
sold 1607 by Sir Francis Tanfield. Said to have been built 1540 by Francis
Tanfield who died 1558 and is buried with his wife Bridget in the church (q,v,).
The plan of the house is similar to that of Lyveden New Beild, but does not, in
this case, appear to have any religious significance.
(J. Alfred Gotch, 'Architecture of the Renaissance in England', second edition,
1914, p.187 and fig. 195; J. Alfred Gotch, 'The Old Halls and Manor Houses of
Northamptonshire', 1936, p.72; Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.222).

Listing NGR: SP7056754833

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.