This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5811 / 52°34'51"N
Longitude: -2.4268 / 2°25'36"W
OS Eastings: 371177
OS Northings: 298224
OS Grid: SO711982
Mapcode National: GBR BY.BK86
Mapcode Global: WH9DP.PDL4
Entry Name: Apley Park (Secondary Modern School)
Listing Date: 29 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1294171
English Heritage Legacy ID: 254922
Location: Stockton, Shropshire, WV15
Civil Parish: Stockton
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Stockton St Chad
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SO 79 NW 15/27 29.9.51.
One of the most famous seate of Shropshire. The present Gothic style
mansion erected circa 1812 (architect unrecorded) incorporating earlier
Georgian mansion. Built of Grinshill stone with battlemented parapets,
mullioned windows, oriels etc; southern front dominated by a central tower;
porte cochere to the east; end facade of old C18 house masked by false
chapel-like window. To the north, a symmetrical arrangement of sashes
makes the earlier building easily recognizable. Principal rooms have
typical mid-C19 "Gothic" decoration; plaster groined ceilings; double
staircase; marble mantlepieces brought from old Dorchester House; good
C18 staircase in kitchen wing. The present Dining Room, former Chapel,
probably altered circa 1870. The park is one of the finest in the county;
terrace over-looking Severn Valley; hanging woods to a great height lining
steep gorge of river.
Reference, Country Life.
Listing NGR: SO7117798224
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings