This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.084 / 53°5'2"N
Longitude: -2.243 / 2°14'34"W
OS Eastings: 383821
OS Northings: 354110
OS Grid: SJ838541
Mapcode National: GBR 138.PQC
Mapcode Global: WHBCD.JR44
Entry Name: Church of St Thomas
Listing Date: 22 April 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1294760
English Heritage Legacy ID: 273329
Location: Kidsgrove, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire, ST7
Civil Parish: Kidsgrove
Built-Up Area: Kidsgrove
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: KidsgroveSt Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
KIDSGROVE C.P. THE AVENUE (east side)
SJ 85 SW
5/45 Church of St. Thomas
Parish church. 1837, perhaps by Mrs. Kinnersley of Clough Hall (demolished)
with a chancel of 1853 by Scott. Red and blue brick (English bond) and
slate roof; chancel of chisel dressed freestone with ashlar quoins and
dressings, and plain tile roof with shaped tile bands and stone coped
verges. West tower clasped by a pair of western annexes which continue
the roof line of a 3 1/2-bay nave; 2-bay chancel. West tower of 4 stages
with a battlemented parapet. Pointed west door with returned dripstone
and raised key. Small window above with 3 pointed lights and a square
dripstone. The third stage has clocks within moulded circular surrounds.
Lancet belfry windows. Each of the western annexes flanking the tower
has a western lancet. Nave. Lancet windows with returned dripstones
and raised keys. Buttresses at the bay divisions. Chancel. Pointed
windows with Geomentric tracery and scroll moulded dripstones terminating
in carved heads or naturalistic foliage. Scroll moulded sill string
continued over a central pointed south door as a dripstone. Gabled but-
trusses at the bay divisions and corners. Interior. The nave has a
decorative plaster fringe at the top of the walls and king-post roof trusses
with Perpendicular tracery. Panelled west gallery on slim cast iron
columns of quatrefoil section with moulded capitals. The gallery carries
an organ decorated with Gothic tracery. High pointed chancel arch with
several roll and fillet moulded orders on cylindrical columns with moulded
capitals; hoodmould terminating in carved heads. The chancel windows
have pointed rere arches with roll and fillet moulded hoods terminating
in bunches of stiff leaf. Fittings. 5-bay marble reredos with trefoil
headed panels and central crocketed hood. Contemporary altar table and
rail: octagonal shafts with moulded capitals. Panelled stalls of similar
date. Pulpit probably by Scott: marble columns with capitals of natur-
alistic foliage, and octagonal panels containing the symbols of the Evang-
elists. C19 octagonal font with panelled sides and ball flower ornament.
B.o.E. p. 162.
Listing NGR: SJ8382154110
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings