This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2199 / 51°13'11"N
Longitude: -0.479 / 0°28'44"W
OS Eastings: 506320
OS Northings: 147849
OS Grid: TQ063478
Mapcode National: GBR GF5.KQ9
Mapcode Global: VHFVP.NL4N
Entry Name: The Old Parish Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 14 June 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1294958
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288277
Location: Albury, Guildford, Surrey, GU5
Civil Parish: Albury
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Albury
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
In the entry for ALBURY CP NEW ROAD
The Old Parish Church
of St Peter and
The former listing date shall be amended to read 14/6/67
TQ 04 NE ALBURY C.P. NEW ROAD
5/20 The old Parish Church
of St Peter and St Paul
Church. Saxon origins with C12 Norman tower, C13 chancel and south
transept. C14 nave and south aisle and fine, early C16 north porch.
South transept remodelled by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin in the
early 1840s. Rubblestone tower, chancel and west walls, mortar rendered on the north wall with timber framed north porch. Plain tiled roofs with wood shingled dome to tower under metal finial. Nave and south aisle with north porch,
tower to north with transept to south and chancel to east. Three stage
battlemented tower with quoined projection to north side and small
window to north. Two stages of two lights, the lower deeply recessed
inside an arched surround. Roofless chancel with late C13 four-centred
east window, single lancet window to south. Two windows in east wall
with an early variety of Y tracery of two lights. South window of
five lights with one large quatrefoil and two smaller ones above,
renewed by Pugin. Two gables to west end, buttressed, with one arched
window and one roundel above to each.
North Porch: Gabled with pierced bargeboards, quatrefoil decoration
with rosette centres set in a flowing pattern of tracery. East side of
the porch is longer presenting a twisted axis. Arched oak door with
long strap hinges and massive lock case.
Interior: Three-bay nave arcade to south with octagonal pedestal pillars
under moulded capitals. Carved tower arches with "nutmeg" scallop pattern
to west. C14 timber roof to nave.
Monuments: North nave wall - Merrye Monument. Dedicated to Elizabeth
Merrye. Died 1652. Aedicular, with broken segmental pediment, coloured
stone with strap work decoration, panelled soffit and grey inscription
Monument to George Duncombe. Died 1746. Coloured stone with grey
inscription panel. Crowning cartouche and coat of arms. Composite
pilasters to sides and panelled apron below.
West End of South Wall: to Sir Robert Godshall. Died 1742, by William Bull.
Grey stone with white stone cartouche on spheres and gadrooned chest.
Square apron below with supporting brackets for entablature. Crossed
mace and sword carving.
C14 marble coffin slab to floor of aisle. Weston brass set into marble
slab on aisle floor. C14 image niche to west wall. 15C St Christopher
painted over south door. C14 Piscina in south wall of the aisle.
Drummond Chapel (in the south transept): Remodelled by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin with red and gold walls painted by T Early. Vivid stained glass by Wales.
Panelled ceiling decorated in quatrefoil pattern. Billeted screen doors.
Marble chest tomb dedicated to Drummond on a platform to the south side.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) pp 91-2
VCH SURREY VOL III pp.72-77
Listing NGR: TQ0632047846
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings