This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2093 / 51°12'33"N
Longitude: -2.6906 / 2°41'26"W
OS Eastings: 351851
OS Northings: 145792
OS Grid: ST518457
Mapcode National: GBR ML.444V
Mapcode Global: VH89R.9VXT
Entry Name: Church of St Matthew
Listing Date: 22 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1295105
English Heritage Legacy ID: 268176
Location: Wookey, Mendip, Somerset, BA5
Civil Parish: Wookey
Built-Up Area: Wookey
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST54NW WOOKEY CP HIGH STREET (South side)
21/163 Church of St Matthew
Anglican Parish Church. C12 establishment, late C13 chancel, remainder C14-early C15, except C16 chapel; restored 1872
by Giles and Gane, C20 vestry. Coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings, coped verges, cruciform finials, slate
and lead-sheeting roofs, ashlar stack. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, south chapel, south porch, north vestry,
west tower. Perpendicular. Three-stage tower, diagonal buttresses, pinnacles, embattled parapet, polygonal stair-turret
with a stone spirelet; 2-light bell-chamber windows with a quatrefoil interlace, clock; 4-light west window, west door.
Three bay nave cum aisles, 2-light windows, buttresses; lofty porch, moulded inner and outer door openings, benched
interior on flagstone floor, wooden dog gates, C15 roof. Three bay chapel with large 4-light square-headed window of
1423 and 2 pointed head windows, 3-light west window. Two bay chancel, 3-light east window, stepped cusped lancet
lights. Simple vestry in neo-Perpendicular style. Plastered interior on flagstone and encaustic tile floors. Nave with
cusped kingpost roof, restored C19 though some earlier work remains, corbels; aisles with restored lean-to roofs,
though again earlier work may remain; nave and chapel with C19 wagon roofs. Tower arch and chancel arch have the same
double-quadrant moulding; the same moulding also in the 3 bay north arcade; 3-bay south arcade C15; C16 arches to south
chapel. Restored C13 font; 2 hagioscopes; rood stair; 3 piscinae. Two C17 chests; table incorporating remains of C17
altar rail; altar rail of 1635; altar table of c1635; C19 pulpit incorporating Jacobean remains. C18 chest and coffin
stools. C19 pews, tester, choir stalls, altar rails and reredos. Principal monument a Perpendicular chest to Thomas
Clarke, obit 1555, for whom the south chapel may have been built; many good C17/C18 monuments. C19 charity plaque. Much
late C19 stained glass and some good C20 work; north chancel window with fragmentary medieval work. Early bells. C17
bible in glazed case. Organ loft under tower with Art Nouveau gesso plaque. Royal Arms dated 1837. (Pevsner, Buildings
of England, North Somerset and Bristol, 1958; The Architect, April 27, 1872).
Listing NGR: ST5185245792
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings