This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.72 / 52°43'12"N
Longitude: -0.768 / 0°46'4"W
OS Eastings: 483312
OS Northings: 314309
OS Grid: SK833143
Mapcode National: GBR CQY.JN4
Mapcode Global: WHFK8.5WKM
Plus Code: 9C4XP6CJ+2R
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1295308
English Heritage Legacy ID: 186720
Location: Whissendine, Rutland, LE15
Civil Parish: Whissendine
Built-Up Area: Whissendine
Traditional County: Rutland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland
Church of England Parish: Whissendine St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SK 81 SW MAIN STREET (North side)
5/150 Church of St. Andrew
Large church of C13-C15, restored 1870. Restoration by Sir G.G. Scott
and J. Goddard. Ashlar and coursed squared stone with parapetted, battlemented
and Collyweston slate roofs. W tower, nave, aisles, transepts, chancel
and S porch. Fine C14 W tower of 3 stages with angle buttresses, the
top parts moulded, W door and window linked by giant arch with 3 orders
of shafts, 3 ogee-headed niches above, and tall elaborate bell-stage.
Double 2-light bell openings with similar blank openings either side
and shafts. Staircase on SW corner. Gargoyles, head frieze, parapet
with arched openings and pinnacles with octagonal spirelets. Nave has
C13 5 bay arcades, many moulded arches with head-moulds and head-stops
on circular and quatrefoil piers. Perp clerestory with 6 large windows
either side and fleuron frieze and battlements outside. 7 bay low-pitch
tie beam roof with bosses, restored 1728, and with wall pieces and brace
supported by 12 wooden seated figures under nodding-ogee canopies. C14
aisles have plinths, angle buttresses, head and fleuron friezes and
battlements. Restored lean-to roof. Central N and S doors with 2 Perp
windows either side. Similar W windows. C14 transepts, N with double
chamfered arches to aisle and chancel, S with many hollow moulded arches
to aisle and chancel. N window has Curvilinear tracery, S is incomplete
but with Perp tracery. Chancel has windows of 1865, Perp tracery to
E, with stained glass by Kempe of 1892, and Curvilinear to N and S.
Roof is 4 bay low-pitch tie beam with wall pieces and braces on head
corbels. Below a painted wooden high relief coat of arms and inscription
records that Lady Abigail Sherard 'new roofed chansel, 1640'. Perp S
porch with hollow chamfered arch and wrought iron gates, probably C19,
and C13 S door arch. Screen between S aisle and S transept is C15 with
ribbed coving and C16 doors. Brought from former chapel of St. John's
College, Cambridge, at time of restoration. Font is Perp and octagonal
with quatrefoils. Later base and C19 carved oak cover. 2 C12/C13 stone
coffin lids in S aisle. C18 wall monuments and 2 painted hatchments.
C19 brass lectern and carved stone pulpit of 1888. Carved, painted and
gilded reredos and carved oak chancel panelling and pews of cl900. White's
Leicestershire and Rutland, 1877, and Pevsner.
Listing NGR: SK8331214309
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings