This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2421 / 51°14'31"N
Longitude: -2.3912 / 2°23'28"W
OS Eastings: 372790
OS Northings: 149281
OS Grid: ST727492
Mapcode National: GBR 0S6.294
Mapcode Global: VH97C.H1RN
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 11 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1295876
English Heritage Legacy ID: 266724
Location: Mells, Mendip, Somerset, BA11
Civil Parish: Mells
Built-Up Area: Mells
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
10/24 Church of St Andrew
Parish Church. Predominantly late C15, tower of mid C16, mid C19 restoration. Doulting ashlar; low pitched lead roofs.
Clerestoried nave with north and south aisles, continuing as chapels clasping the chancel; south porch and vestry, both
of 2-storeys; west tower. Gabled and embattled Perpendicular. 4-stage tower has set back buttresses connected across
the angle terminating in detached pinnacles at the third stage; the diagonals in turn become pinnacles finishing just
under the main corner pinnacles. C19 five light reticulated west window; above blind tracery of 3-lights, identical
bell openings with quatrefoil interlace overlying. Buttressed porch with ogee gable and pinnacles, polygonal vestry of
1485 has plain 2-light openings and ares of Garland, its benefactor. Remainder of windows of 3-lights, C19 reticulated
east window. Scraped interior on elaborate tile floors; fan vault to tower and porch, restored roofs of C19, except a
lean-to in north chapel of C15 springing from angelic corbels. Arcaded nave of 4-bays, 4 have mouldings which are
repeated on all other arches. Important furniture, particularly to Horner family in the north chapeli equine memorial
by Munnings of 1920 on Lutyens base to Frances Horner; further tablets and a chest tomb of C17, C18 and C19 as well as
east window of 1930 by Charles Nicholson. Gesso plaque of 1886 by Burne-Jones to Laura Lyttleton under tower; opposite
cut lettering by Gill of 1916 to Raymond Asquith, above bronze wreath again by Lutyens. west end of south aisle has
brass plaque of 1826 to Fussell family by Gingell of Bath; adjacent framed tapestry after Burne-Jones by Lady Horner.
Further lesser memorials particularly in South chapel which also has a piscina. Benches of mid C19 though some Jacobean
examples remain, others reused as panelling; chest of 1640; reading desk of C19 in Italian style; 3 brass chandaliers,
largest to chancel dated 1721; Norman tub font. Mostly Cl9 stained glass; west window by Hudson, east window by
Hardman, though retains of earlier work in north aisle and vestry. Tower has clock of C17 and peal of 8 bells, earliest
of 1717; sanctus to chancel roof.
Listing NGR: ST7279249288
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings